How Do I Design Courses to Enhance Student Veterans’ Success?
Military service is a formidable educational experience, according to presenter Bruce Kelley, Ph.D..
In this Magna 20 Minute Mentor session he shows you how to use course design to help student veterans make the most of it.
In the process, you’ll also learn how to enhance learning for all students.
Drawing on his experience as director of the Center for Teaching and Learning at the University of South Dakota, Kelley also references higher education theory as he guides you through course redesign, covering:
- Situational factors – You’ll look at the specifics of your course, such as how many students are veterans and how their military experience links to course content.
- Assessment – You’ll see how the military and higher education both emphasize clarity, frequency, and feedback, promoting improvement.
- Teaching and learning activities – You’ll discover how using terms such as “course mission” can help student veterans succeed.
You can read “Forty Percent of 2 Million” Preparing to Serve our Veterans with Disabilities, which they wrote based on their U.S. Department of Education grant.
After viewing, you will be able to:
- Redesign your courses to support success for student veterans
- Use course design to help student veterans make the most of their strengths
- Adapt everything from course objectives to syllabus design to support student veterans
- Use classroom technology to improve course design and delivery
- Improve educational opportunities for student veterans by implementing the basic Principles of Universal Design
This program is also available as part of the Student Veteran 4-pack.
Share with your colleagues
Supporting student veterans – and all students with differing abilities – is so important; why not help all your campus instructors do it? Purchase the Campus Access License and load the How Do I Design Courses to Enhance Student Veterans’ Success?CD content onto your institution’s internal website so your colleagues can enjoy on-demand access.
Product Code: PM22EA