What Are the Communication 'Musts' in an Online Class?
Establishing effective communication in online classes can be challenging.
The 20 Minute Mentor program What Are the Communication 'Musts' in an Online Class? shows you how to use technology to create an effective online learning environment.
Presenter Jill Schiefelbein draws on her experience as an online educator, an adjunct professor at Arizona State University, and a communications consultant, as well as interviews with online students, to help you create the instructor-to-student communication students want.
Like all Magna 20 Minute Mentors, this session is fast and focused, designed to provide practical and proven tips you can learn quickly and put to work right away.
Schiefelbein will show you how effective communication can enhance online education if you follow these five essential steps:
- Use instructor introduction and course expectation videos to set students up for success
- Provide students an opportunity to interact out of class with online “hallway conversations”
- Use voice announcements to keep students up to date on class responsibilities
- Help students monitor their progress and offer them encouragement and support
- Establish genuine connection with students through mediated communication
Following through on these five “musts” will strengthen student relationships with you as an instructor, deepen student engagement with course content, and increase their level of participation in class.
What Are the Communication 'Musts' in an Online Class? is perfect for instructors who are new to the online learning environment, as well as those seeking to polish their online education skills. After this session, you will:
- Understand that a lack of communication is a kind of communication
- Realize how connecting with online students enriches their learning experience
- Be able to strengthen your credibility with students through online communication techniques
- Employ specific communication strategies to increase student participation and engagement
Examples and links
Handouts, checklists, and more help you put your learning into practice. Supplemental materials provide real-life examples of each of the five “musts” so you can see these rules in action. You’ll also receive links to a website for “communication musts” and links to technology to help you accomplish them.
Meet Your Mentor:
- PDF Transcript
- Supplemental Materials
- Critical Reflection Worksheet
- PowerPoint Handouts
Make this program available for ongoing training
Order the Campus Access License and load the CD content onto your institution’s internal web site for unlimited, convenient, on-demand access for all members of your campus community.