Legal Considerations in Personnel Decisions
Being a department chair means having to handle a diverse array of legal issues, including academic freedom, harassment, student privacy, and personnel matters such as termination and denial of tenure. Rather than trying to acquire a thorough understanding of the intricacies of every legal situation one might encounter, Fernando Gomez, vice chancellor and general counsel for the Texas State University System, recommends developing a basic understanding of legal principles, using common sense, and seeking expert help when necessary to make this important aspect of the position more manageable.
- How to Manage ‘Regulatory Overload’: Balancing Compliance with Educational Objectives
- The Importance of Collective Leadership: Building and Maintaining High-Performing Teams
- Legal Considerations in Personnel Decisions
- ‘We’ll Fix It in Post’: Why Getting It Done Is Often Better Than Getting It Perfect
- Turbo-Boost Your Onboarding of New Online Adjunct Faculty