Integration of Case Studies in Online STEM Courses
A major challenge for online STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) faculty is to design learning experiences that actively engage students and promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills. The incorporation of case studies in the online environment provides an innovative student-centered pedagogical tool designed to encourage student collaboration, enhance student learning, and improve course retention. Moreover, the inclusion of active learning strategies utilizing case studies has been reported to have significant positive influences on student academic outcomes and the development of higher-order thinking skills. The purpose of this article is to discuss the integration of STEM-related case studies in online courses.
- Teaching Online With Errol: The Longer the Online Course, the More Effort Needed for Student Engagement
- Tips for Humanizing Your Online Course
- Encouraging Online Learner Participation
- Integration of Case Studies in Online STEM Courses
- Tips From the Pros: Three Essential Instructor Inputs in Discussion Boards