A Proactive Approach to Promoting Civility in the Online Classroom
Each time Joyce Johnston teaches an online course, she asks her students to select the characteristic that is most important in their online interactions. Invariably, students choose “respect.” They want the learning environment to be civil, and Johnston, an English instructor at George Mason University, devotes the first week and a half to promoting civility and reinforces it throughout the course.
- Recommendations for Synchronous Sessions
- How to Foster Critical Thinking, Student Engagement in Online Discussions
- Online Learning 2.0: It's Time to Create Real Faculty Bios
- A Proactive Approach to Promoting Civility in the Online Classroom
- Tips From the Pros: Use of Copyrighted Video
- Five Ways to Foster Creativity in Your Online Classroom