How to Design Online Courses That Motivate Students
When designing an online course, it’s important to consider how to create learning experiences that will spark learners’ intrinsic motivation. While different learners may be motivated by different factors, there are several models that can provide useful guidance when you’re designing motivating learning experiences. Two useful models are self-determination theory (developed by Ryan and Deci) and the culturally responsive motivation framework (developed by Ginsburg and Wlodkowski). In an interview with Online Classroom, Rebecca Zambrano, director of online faculty development at Edgewood College, talked about elements of these models and how to apply them to online course design.
- Tips From the Pros: How to Engage Online Learners on Theoretical Content
- Would a Hybrid Be More Efficient? Analysis of Class Grades: A Traditional Format vs. One With an Online Component
- Stop Drowning in Email
- Online Learning 2.0: Require Your Students to Use Citation Software
- How to Design Online Courses That Motivate Students
- Creating a Simple Weekly Structure for Online Courses