Online Advising Strategies to Promote Student Retention
Effective advising is an essential component of student retention efforts. Most advising programs advocate positive relationships with students centered on remediation reduction, intrusive advising, and strengths-based advising methods designed to help students achieve academic and professional goals (Glennen & Baxley, 1985; Schreiner & Anderson, 2005). Advising protocols typically involve disseminating essential information to students regarding institutional policies, degree-specific courses, student services, post-baccalaureate options, careers, organizations, community resources, research opportunities, and study skills to improve student retention. This article offers several Web-based strategies to facilitate this communication and promote academic persistence of online learners.
- Fostering Personal Connections for a Better Online Learning Environment
- Adding Game Elements to Your Online Course
- Is Your Online Course Layout User-Friendly?
- Online Advising Strategies to Promote Student Retention
- Online Learning 2.0: Study Aids for Students
- Tips from the Pros: Online Learner Engagement Is Not Always Obvious