Support Goes a Long Way in Encouraging Critical Thinking in Online Class Discussions
I have found that well-designed activities that use the discussion board can be very beneficial in promoting critical thinking. I promote critical thinking by providing detailed instructions that require responses supported by the text or outside sources and that require students to take a position. The following are three formats of online discussion activities that have been successfully used to support critical thinking in two online family and consumer sciences courses offered by Fairmont State University in Fairmont, West Virginia.
- Teaching Online WIth Errol: An Online Educator Must: Creating the Perfect PowerPoint!
- Online Teaching Fundamentals: Designing and Teaching with Returning Adults in Mind, Part 2
- How Does Temperament Affect Online Learner Success and Retention?
- Tips From the Pros: Frequent Low-Stakes Grading
- Support Goes a Long Way in Encouraging Critical Thinking in Online Class Discussions