How Can I Create Effective Mini-Lectures?
Teaching with Mini Lectures
Active learning is the name of the game in higher education today, but no matter how much emphasis your curriculum places on engaging students, sometimes you still have to disseminate information. Learn how to deliver effective mini-lectures that resonate with your students in How Can I Create Effective Mini-Lectures?, a Magna 20-Minute Mentor.
Based on research in cognitive and educational psychology, and integrating best practices from business and teaching theories, this fast and focused session offers you the insights you need to upgrade your teaching and the practical guidance to help you get started.
Research reveals that while the lecture format is one of the most common teaching methods in colleges and universities, it is also one of the least effective at promoting student learning.
Addressing this issue is the key to success for instructors in higher education today.
Join us for How Can I Create Effective Mini-Lectures? and learn how you can try motivating students with your mini-lectures. Understanding how to deliver an effective presentation, capable of engaging students and communicating essential course content to today’s learners, will help you and your students achieve learning goals.
After participating in this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Describe cognitive and educational psychology research in attention, engagement, learning, as well as information and memory processing
- Distinguish between before and after examples of effective visuals and PowerPoint slides
- Examine your methods for conveying information in order to heighten student attention, engagement, information processing, and retention of information
- Reflect on how you might alter your methods as you apply research findings on presenting for heightened attention, engaging students, information processing, and retention
You’ll learn proven techniques you can use immediately to transform your lectures from necessary evils to persuasive presentations. Drawing on her extensive classroom and faculty development experience, the presenter demonstrates how educating and motivating students gets easier when you develop mini-lectures that are based on how the brain works. She’ll also show you how to help students retain what you teach through:
- Guided practice
- “Zen presentations”
- Relevant course content
- Embedded classroom assessment techniques
- Positive experiences for student learners
You’ll also learn how to avoid “death by PowerPoint.”
With its balanced blend of theory and practice, How Can I Create Effective Mini-Lectures? shows you the whys and hows of developing an effective presentation. You’ll learn:
- Techniques to facilitate student memory processing through lecture notes
- The optimal time length for a mini-lecture
- Design elements you should and shouldn’t use in classroom presentations
- The key ingredients of a Zen presentation
- Practices great communicators use to connect with audiences
- Content and stylistic guidelines to make sure your mini-lectures are engaging students
In less time than it takes to actually deliver a mini-lecture, you’ll learn how to design one that helps you achieve your learning outcomes and succeed at educating and motivating students.
Checklists, lists of dos and don’ts, and detailed recommendations regarding what it takes to create persuasive mini-lectures and avoid death by PowerPoint will be given away along with this session. The supplements will be extremely helpful for faculty teaching in all disciplines and at all kinds of institutions.
Magna 20-Minute Mentors are developed by and for busy faculty who are committed to the pursuit of excellence in higher education. This session focuses on the needs of classroom faculty.
Presenter's interactive and engaging speaking style, combined with her detailed recommendations of additional resources, make How Can I Create Effective Mini-Lectures? an ideal seminar for mid-career higher education professionals as well as new instructors.
The human brain is, by nature, a novelty seeker. In this session you’ll discover how to stop fighting the brain’s natural tendencies and, instead, put them to work engaging students. Presenter's tips are so practical you’ll be able to use them in your next class session, so don’t delay – order today and start delivering more persuasive mini-lectures tomorrow.
Make it easy for your colleagues to benefit from this professional development opportunity and purchase a Campus Access License. All members of your campus community will be able to access this session at their convenience through your institution’s internal website.
Product Code: PM13BA