Student Engagement 4-pack
Today, “student engagement” is much more than an academic buzzword. It could be considered the foundation for successful learning. Learn how to promote this essential connection in the Student Engagement 4-pack.
Learn how to promote this essential connection in this Student Engagement 4-pack
Today, “student engagement” is much more than an academic buzzword. It could be considered the foundation for successful learning.
Learn how to promote this essential connection in the Student Engagement 4-pack.
Whether she’s demonstrating how to connect with students through in-class activities or summarizing current learning theory, your highly experienced presenter Alice Cassidy, Ph.D. keeps her content fresh, focused, and resolutely practical.
Rich with dozens of ideas you can implement in your classroom immediately, and presented in an educational development context that leaves room for continued growth, these four Magna 20-Minute Mentor programs will show you how to guide students to make a personal investment in their learning.
Each of the following video seminars are included in this 4-pack and each clocks in at just 20 minutes – long enough to deliver great content and short enough to fit into any schedule:
- How Can I Capture Students’ Interest in the First 5 Minutes? –Covering concepts and techniques to help make your first class the start of an exciting educational journey.
- How Can I Use Icebreakers to Connect with Students?–Showing how you can improve student motivation by first finding out what makes them tick.
- How Can I Connect Students’ Interests to Course Content?–Demonstrating three guidelines you can follow to reach students more effectively.
- How Can I Enhance Class Using Story, Popular Media & Objects?–Reviewing effective, learning-theory based techniques to get students engaged in course content.
Here’s what you’ll be able to do after participating in this Student Engagement 4-pack:
- Draw students in with an “enthusiasm” statement
- Use your first meeting with students to inspire and intrigue
- Learn about your students’ goals and values through introductory surveys, self-assessment and ice-breakers
- Increase student engagement by giving students control over some aspects of your course
- Adapt class assignments to help students discover the links between their interests and your course
- Use “new” and “traditional” devices to enhance student engagement
- Follow up on ideas and track down additional tips by delving into the extensive resource lists Cassidy provides
Interactive & Action-Oriented
Magna 20-Minute Mentor programs are designed to give busy professionals like you information you can put to work right away.
By designating times for you to think, write, and reflect in each seminar, Cassidy makes sure you’ll leave each session with action plans.
Share This Cost-Effective Professional Development Opportunity
The Student Engagement 4-pack is an excellent educational value, with all four 20 Minute Mentor seminars available for a specially reduced price of $299–$100 less than it would cost to purchase them individually.
Alice Cassidy is principal of Alice Cassidy In View Education and Professional Development. She has a B.Sc. (honours) from the University of Victoria, an M.Sc. from McGill University and a Ph.D. from the University of British Columbia (UBC). She coordinates first year courses in the Faculties of Science and Land and Food Systems at the University of British Columbia (UBC). She coordinates the Canada-wide 3M National Teaching Fellowships for undergraduate students. She has held leadership roles at UBC’s campus-wide teaching support centre and its associated scholarship of teaching and learning.
Since the mid-1980s, she has designed, directed, facilitated and/or taught a wide variety of educational programs, including the award-winning Shad Valley Program for high-school students; university courses in biology and education for undergraduate and graduate students; science education and natural history field classes; teaching and learning seminars for instructors at post-secondary institutions in BC, Ontario and China, and customized workshops, both face to face and online for educators.
Her areas of focus include active and participatory learning, professional development for organizations, use of self-directed learning, problems and cases in real-world settings, instructional and narrative skills, sustainability education and leadership and students as active collaborators in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Recognize that geeks have a severe need for acceptance and encouragement
- Identify geek interests and passions
- Create programs that are aimed towards their hobbies and passions
- Understand the overview of what geeks are involved in today
- Connect with geeks, learning their jargon and gaining access into their culture
- Create a Geek Week on your campus
- Identify the common myths about geeks?
- See why geeks may be the diversity champions you've been looking for
Watch this program for FREE with a subscription to 20-Minute Mentor Commons
20-Minute Mentor Commons is a digital library of all of our 20-minute programsincluding this oneat a low annual subscription price.
If you were to purchase all of our 20-Minute Mentors programs on CD, and make them available to everyone on your campus, the price would be astronomicalmore than $30,000!
No individual, or institution, should have to pay that much for professional development.
20-Minute Mentor Commons eliminates the high cost of delivering high-quality professional development to your entire campus. Plus, you and your faculty will have access to 20-Minute Mentor Commons on any device with an Internet connection available.
This on-demand collection of targeted faculty development offers solutions to common challengesin just 20 minutes!
A subscription gives your entire campus on-demand access to all 20-Minute Mentor programs, even if faculty is off campus. Faculty and staff can watch these programs when and where it is convenient for them. And with a running time of just 20 minutes each, professional development can fit even the busiest of schedules.
Would you like to start watching this program immediately? Purchase a subscription to 20-Minute Mentor Commons, and you can watch this programalong with the entire catalog of programsfor just $1,897.
P.S. Not ready to buy just yet? Request a free trial, and start experiencing all 20-Minute Mentor Commons has to offer.
A subscription to 20-Minute Mentor Commons includes access to 150+ programs, categorized in 32 categories.
Each program includes:
- Video Presentation
- Note-Taking Guide
- Supplemental Materials
- Discussion Guide
- Certificate of Completion
These programs pack an impressive amount of practical information into a concentrated format. They're brief enough to fit busy schedules, but long enough to deliver valuable, actionable content.
Benefits of 20-Minute Mentor Commons
- Online and on-demand access from any computer with an Internet connection
- Targeted fast, focused solutions that instructors can use immediately
- Campus-wide all faculty members can access all programs for an entire year
- Flexible Watch seminars at home, at work, in a group, on a tablet, or even on a phone
- Accessible transcript included for each program
Make a Case for Funding
Budgets for faculty development can be tight. Let us help you make a case for funding with a customizable letter for your dean, chair, or faculty development center.
Request a Free Trial
Experience all the features of 20-Minute Mentor Commons with a free fourteen-day trial. Once your request has been approved, you will have full access for two weeks
In the free trial, explore the vast array of programs and topics available by watching as many presentations as you like. You will also have access to the note-taking guides, transcripts, discussion guide, certificates of completion, and supplemental materials.
$49 - On-Demand
$99 - CD
$49 - On-Demand
$99 - CD
$49 - On-Demand
$99 - CD