What Learning Activities Help Student Veterans Succeed?
Learn practical techniques you can implement immediately to help student veterans succeed. Techniques include understanding the differences between military and academic decision making as well as how to teach student veterans how to reflect and write for an academic environment.
Understanding the differences between military and academic decision making.
Veterans know transitioning back to civilian life means more than packing away a uniform.
For many, the process involves switching barracks and battlefields for a different training ground – a college or university campus.
In this 20 Minute Mentor you’ll learn practical techniques you can implement immediately to support those who have served our country.
Drawing on principles of adult learning, research, and his own experience creating a program to help the university community better serve student veterans with disabilities, presenter Bruce Kelley, Ph.D., will help you prepare student veterans for.
You will learn about special challenges student veterans face, including:
- Shifting from a rapid response, action-oriented decision-making style
- Switching from military communication to an academic approach
- Adapting to a less hierarchical environment
- Additional physical, behavioral, and emotional issues
In this fast and focused session, you’ll also review the unique strengths student veterans bring to the classroom:
- Experience with leadership and diversity
- Mission-focused, goal-directed attitude
- Comfort with assessment
- Teamwork skills
With an emphasis on writing, service-learning, and team-based learning, Kelly shares tips such as:
- Using course structure to help student veterans practice academic-style reflection
- Supporting student veterans by breaking writing assignments into smaller “mission objectives”
- Employing rubrics, blogs, wikis, learning team assignments, and other educational techniques to draw in student veterans
After completing this specific student populations program, you’ll be able to:
- Implement learning activities to help student veterans succeed
- Understand and explain the differences between military and academic decision making and communication
- Help student veterans learn how to reflect and write for an academic rather than a military environment.
This program is also available as part of the Student Veteran 4-pack.
Support veterans across campus
With a Campus Access License you can load course content onto your internal campus website and help your colleagues reach out to student veterans as well.
Product Code: PM22FA
Bruce Kelley, Ph.D., is the director of the Center for Teaching and Learning at the University of South Dakota and Professor of Music in the College of Fine Arts.
His research has been centered on pedagogy in higher education, as well as on music of the American Civil War. He is the author of two books and numerous publications.
He is a graduate of The Ohio State University and Nebraska Wesleyan University, and received a certificate from the Harvard Graduate School of Education’s Management Development Program.
Watch this program for FREE with a subscription to 20-Minute Mentor Commons
20-Minute Mentor Commons is a digital library of all of our 20-minute programsincluding this oneat a low annual subscription price.
If you were to purchase all of our 20-Minute Mentors programs on CD, and make them available to everyone on your campus, the price would be astronomicalmore than $30,000!
No individual, or institution, should have to pay that much for professional development.
20-Minute Mentor Commons eliminates the high cost of delivering high-quality professional development to your entire campus. Plus, you and your faculty will have access to 20-Minute Mentor Commons on any device with an Internet connection available.
This on-demand collection of targeted faculty development offers solutions to common challengesin just 20 minutes!
A subscription gives your entire campus on-demand access to all 20-Minute Mentor programs, even if faculty is off campus. Faculty and staff can watch these programs when and where it is convenient for them. And with a running time of just 20 minutes each, professional development can fit even the busiest of schedules.
Would you like to start watching this program immediately? Purchase a subscription to 20-Minute Mentor Commons, and you can watch this programalong with the entire catalog of programsfor just $1,897.
P.S. Not ready to buy just yet? Request a free trial, and start experiencing all 20-Minute Mentor Commons has to offer.
A subscription to 20-Minute Mentor Commons includes access to 150+ programs, categorized in 32 categories.
Each program includes:
- Video Presentation
- Note-Taking Guide
- Supplemental Materials
- Discussion Guide
- Certificate of Completion
These programs pack an impressive amount of practical information into a concentrated format. They're brief enough to fit busy schedules, but long enough to deliver valuable, actionable content.
Benefits of 20-Minute Mentor Commons
- Online and on-demand access from any computer with an Internet connection
- Targeted fast, focused solutions that instructors can use immediately
- Campus-wide all faculty members can access all programs for an entire year
- Flexible Watch seminars at home, at work, in a group, on a tablet, or even on a phone
- Accessible transcript included for each program
Make a Case for Funding
Budgets for faculty development can be tight. Let us help you make a case for funding with a customizable letter for your dean, chair, or faculty development center.
Request a Free Trial
Experience all the features of 20-Minute Mentor Commons with a free fourteen-day trial. Once your request has been approved, you will have full access for two weeks
In the free trial, explore the vast array of programs and topics available by watching as many presentations as you like. You will also have access to the note-taking guides, transcripts, discussion guide, certificates of completion, and supplemental materials.
$49 - On-Demand
$99 - CD
$49 - On-Demand
$99 - CD
$249 - CD
$300 - Campus Access License