What is a Magna Online Seminar?
A live Magna Online Seminar is an online presentation, conference or workshop that is delivered entirely over the internet on your computer or mobile device using Adobe Connect.
No telephone connection is required (although we will for live programs provide an option to dial in to listen to content).
You simply connect to a private web link that is emailed to you and access the seminar.
How does a Magna Online Seminar work?
During a live Magna Online Seminar, the presenter speaks on a topic in his or her area of expertise. Magna Online Seminars are presented on your computer in a browser window that features a slide show presentation in one panel, plus video, polls and Q&A Chat when available. It also features sound and playback controls. The seminar may be viewed on a single computer screen or be projected onto a larger screen or monitor for a group setting (ex: Conference Room).
Can I view a Magna Online Seminar on an iPad, iPhone, or Android device?
Yes, however, you must download and install the Adobe Connect Mobile app.
- On an iPad or iPhone, install the free Adobe Connect Mobile app for iPhone/iPad on your device from iTunes prior to the seminar. You can log into the seminar directly through the app, or you can enter the seminar link into Safari and the seminar will open in the Adobe Connect Mobile app.
On an Android device, install the free Adobe Connect Mobile app for Android on your device from Google Play.
Can I advance the slides?
No. The slides are shown as the presenter advances them during the live Magna Online Seminars. Copies of the slides are included in the printable seminar handouts. While viewing the seminar on CD or on-demand, you can skip ahead or go back to a previous slide. If the slides seem to be stuck, not advancing or out of sync with the presenter’s speech during a live seminar, please refresh your browser.
When will I receive the connection instructions/link to handouts?
The email address of the person who purchased/registered for the Magna Online Seminar is used. That person will receive an email from Magna Publications three (3) business days prior to the Magna Online Seminar.
It will include a unique link to the online seminar and a link to the presentation handouts. They will also receive an email reminder the morning of the seminar. Please be sure to enable emails coming in from Magna Publications Customer Service.
Please try to connect to the seminar at least 10 minutes before the start of the seminar to be able to troubleshoot any unexpected problems with your hardware.
I did not receive an email with the seminar link. Now what?
An email is sent to the email address provided at registration both three days prior to the seminar and on the day of the seminar.
If you have not received these emails, please check your spam filter or junk mail folder for a message from magnapubs.com. Emails from Magna Publications may be blocked or filtered by your university or college IT policies; please check with your IT staff for assistance. If you need further assistance contact Magna Customer Service at email@example.com.
I am not able to participate in the live event. Are there any options to watch a recorded version of the Magna Online Seminar later?
You may register for the seminar if you are not available to view it live. The seminar recording is available to watch on-demand starting approximately thirty minutes after the presentation concludes and is available for thirty days for on-demand viewing. The recorded version does allow you to rewind/fast forward/skip to certain portions in the recorded program. It does not offer the ability to ask questions of the presenter.
All live seminar purchasers also receive the recorded seminar on CD which includes edited video, transcript, presenter handouts, discussion guide and supplemental materials. The program CD is mailed to purchasers approximately 2-3 weeks after the live program has concluded.
How many people from my institution can participate?
A Magna Online Seminar Package registration includes one (1) connection to the live seminar. You can have as many people view or participate in the live program as you like by utilizing a projector & large screen. If you require additional connections for the live seminar (for individuals or groups in different building or at different campus locations), you can add connections for $100 per additional connection. Contact Magna Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608-246-3590 ext. 2. to make your additional connection purchase arrangements.
May I share the Web link of the Magna Online Seminar to a colleague for viewing from a different location?
For live presentations, registrants are not allowed to share the link for colleagues to access the live program. Registrants are allowed to share the link for the on-demand program with faculty & staff from their institution to view the recorded program while it is available.
Can I relay or “conference in” the Magna Online Seminar to other sites?
No, it would be a violation of the terms & conditions to make the content available to faculty & staff at a different location. Each site would need to purchase their own seminar registration to connect to the live program, or you would need to purchase an additional connection for that additional site.
Can I record the live presentation of the Magna Online Seminar?
No. Copyright laws prohibit the recording of our seminars. If you purchase the live seminar, you receive the CD recording of the seminar. This is mailed to purchasers 2-3 weeks after the live seminar has ended.
I have more than one person viewing the Magna Online Seminar. May I photocopy the handout for the other participants?
Yes. You are allowed to make photocopies of seminar handouts for other participants.
Do you have transcripts of Magna Online Seminars?
Yes. Transcripts are included on the seminar CD for all seminars.
What is your cancellation policy?
You may cancel your seminar registration and receive a full refund up to seven (7) days prior to the live seminar. If you cancel your registration less than one week prior to the scheduled seminar date, you will be charged the full registration fee. Seminar cancellations must be submitted to Magna Publications Customer Service in writing to email@example.com.
What happens if the Magna Online Seminar incurs delays in the program?
In the event that we do run into technical difficulties before or during our program, we communicate to our audience through the seminar itself and/or via email.
- If an issue prevents us from being able to correct the technical issue within 10 minutes, the program will be rescheduled to take place within the next thirty days.
- We will notify attendees of the new date and time via email.
- Customers who were unable to view the entire program may view the seminar on-demand for 30 business days following the presentation or receive a full refund.
What if I need to submit my order in hard copy (to accompany a purchase order, for example)?
Bill Me orders and institutional purchase orders are accepted for all Magna Online Seminar registrations. Please enter the purchase order number during the online shopping cart process. Purchase orders can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 608-246-3597.
Do you offer Continuing Education Credits for Magna Online Seminars?
No, we do not offer Continuing Education Credits for any of our programs. If you would like to see CEU’s offered for future programs, please include your comments in the electronic evaluation you will receive shortly after the program.
Magna Online Seminars using Adobe Connect
Basic System Requirements
- Click here to test your computer system for Adobe Connect compatibility.
- A personal computer or Mac computer
- A high speed internet connection
- Internet web browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome
- Smartphone Adobe Connect App for iPhone or Android
- Click here for a demonstration of a Magna Online Seminar, Adobe Connect.
- Click to view .pdf Quickstart Guide for Adobe Connect participants.
- Click to check your computer for Adobe Connect compatibility.
- Click here for full Adobe Connect technical requirements.
I cannot get into the meeting
If you are having trouble joining an AdobeConnect meeting try the following:
- Enter the meeting as a Guest user by entering in your First and Last Name in the Guest field.
- Click the Help link on the Meeting Login page. This takes you to the Test Meeting Connection page where you can verify that your computer meets all necessary requirements. If you do not pass the test you will be given instructions for what you need to do.
- Make sure popup blocking software is not blocking your meeting window.
- Your campus may be using a proxy server, please contact your campus IT staff for assistance. To resolve this in Internet Explorer, select Tools> Internet Options > Advanced tab. Then enable the setting using HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections. After doing this, clear your cookies, close all browser windows and attempt to re-enter the meeting.
I don’t hear any audio
Most audio issues are either related to your PC computer system volume and speakers, or an older version of the Adobe Flash Player.
- If you have internal speakers, make sure they are not on mute.
- If you have external speakers, make certain they are turned on, connected to the PC and are not muted.
- Make sure you did not lose internet connectivity.
- Make sure your system has passed the system test, click here to test your system for Adobe Connect. You may need to install or update Adobe Flash Player on your computer.
- If you hear an echo, you may have more than one browser window tab open. If you are connected twice (or more) you will hear the audio coming from multiple players on your desktop. Make sure only one room is open. If you have a 2 next to your name that means the room is open multiple times.
Mac Users: There is a known issue with Adobe Connect related to various Mac audio cards.
- Install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.
- Start and run the GarageBand application.
- When initialization is complete, close GarageBand, then connect to the seminar again.
- If the previous two steps do not resolve your problem, please review this Adobe Tech Note.
I hear an echo
If you hear an echo, you may have more than one browser window tab open. If you are connected twice (or more) you will hear the audio coming from multiple players on your desktop. Make sure only one room is open. If you have a 2 next to your name that means the room is open multiple times.
I don’t see any video
- Make sure you did not lose internet connectivity.
- Make sure your system has passed the system test, click here to test your system for Adobe Connect.
- If you receive a “Connection Failed” message it’s likely that your campus IT department is blocking Flash streaming on their network. Contact your IT department for assistance.
- If you are hearing audio, but video is only partially there or “choppy” this could be due to a hardware acceleration issue on some computer systems using the Internet Explorer 9 web browser. To fix, please upgrade to the latest Adobe Flash Player.
- If you are unable to upgrade Adobe Flash Player please contact your IT department.
- Your campus IT department may be limiting video bandwidth on your network, please contact your IT department.
I am using an older Mac, and I meet the requirements for playing a Magna Online Seminar, but it still does not work. What else can I do?
It is likely that your computer has the Flip4Mac Windows Media component for QuickTime installed. This interferes with the Media Player plug-in that is required to play a Magna Online Seminar.
It is best to contact your campus IT staff as this possible fix involves adjusting software settings on your MAC. To disable the Flip4Mac plug-in:
- Click your desktop, and select Apple System Preferences to open the Mac System Preferences.
- Click Flip4Mac WMV under Other.
- On the Plug-in tab, clear the “Use Flip4Mac WMV Internet Plug-in” check box.
- Exit the dialog to save your changes.
- Try to play a presentation. You may have to re-launch your browser for the change to take effect.
If your question is not answered here please contact customer service at email@example.com.