What do I need to view the Magna 20-Minute Mentor on CD?
The CD plays on any computer with a CD/DVD drive.
Programs sold prior to August, 2014 are recorded with Mediasite and use the Microsoft Silverlight player within a web browser for video and audio.
Programs sold after August 2014 are all recorded into mp4 video. This video playout relies on your PC or Mac's native video player software.
The older Magna 20-Minute Mentor CD recordings utilize the Mediasite 5.0.6097 lecture capture platform which uses the Microsoft Silverlight Plugin in your web browser.
Microsoft is no longer developing Silverlight, but continue to do bug fixes. Silverlight is no longer supported in the Chrome web browser. Silverlight is not compatible on Safari on iOS or the Windows 8 "metro" mode
Note: Microsoft Silverlight is not compatible on Safari on iOS or the Windows 8 "metro" mode.
To play the 20-Minute Mentor CD on a PC:
For CDs purchased after August 2014:
The programs are recorded in mp4 video, so they will play on any native video player software on your PC or Mac.
For CDs purchased prior to August 2014 you must have Microsoft Silverlight installed.
With both CD versions you just insert the CD into your computer CD/DVD drive.
- A start page will automatically launch in your browser which contains links to play the presentation and provides access the PDF handouts. If not, do step 3.
- Open My Computer from your desktop or Start menu. Locate your CD/DVD drive in the list of available drives (usually D: or E:) and double-click the icon. This will launch the start page in your browser. If not, move to step 4:
- Locate the file named index.html on the CD and double-click on it. This launches the start page which contains links to play the presentation and access the handouts.
If the CD does not autoplay when it is inserted into your PC, you can also change the autoplay settings on the PC. Follow these steps to specify what should happen when you insert a CD into your computer CD/DVD drive.
- Open AutoPlay by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking AutoPlay.
- Under Media, find the type of media that you want to change the AutoPlay setting for.
- Click the action that you want AutoPlay to take when you insert that type of media into your computer.
- Click Save.
To play the Magna 20-Minute Mentor on CD on a Mac:
- Insert the CD into your computer CD/DVD drive.
- A CD/DVD icon will appear on your desktop. Double-click on the icon to access the CD drive.
- On the CD, locate the file index.html. Double-click on the file. The file will launch in your web browser.
- The start page should appear in your browser which contains links to play the presentation and to access the PDF handouts
- If you have not already done so, you will be prompted to install the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in when you click to play the presentation.
- If upon inserting the CD into your computer the CD/DVD icon does not appear on your desktop, your computer will not play the CD due to system requirements. See requirements that follow.
Mac system requirements:
- Mac OS X 10.4.8 or later
- Safari 2.0.4 or later or Firefox 3.6 or later
- Silverlight (viewers are prompted to install this when attempting to view a presentation)
- Broadband Internet connection (256 Kbps or more)
- Note: Newer versions of Microsoft Silverlight cannot be installed on Power PC Macs. Silverlight 1.0 was the only version to be supported on the Power PC platform.
What is a Campus Access License?
What a Campus Access License allows institutions to do is take the contents of the 20-Minute Mentor program CD and place the electronic files on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for faculty to access. The cost for a Campus Access License is $100 per Magna 20-Minute Mentor program.
Without a Campus Access License, copyright restrictions only allow for individuals & campuses to view the program & materials from the CD.
What is the return policy for Magna 20-Minute Mentors?
All Magna 20-Minute Mentor products have a 30 day, 100% money-back guarantee, starting from the date the product is received.
To expedite a return:
- Please obtain a Return Authorization (RA) number by contacting our Customer Service Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include the RA number with your returned products.
Products ineligible for return or refund include:
- Any product not purchased from Magna Publications.
- Any product that is returned without all original packaging, including binders, CD/DVD cases, and all other items originally included with the product.
- Any product that exhibits physical damage or is not in re-sellable condition.
- Any electronic files that were downloaded from our web site.
- Any Campus Access License agreement.
Can I make copies of the Magna 20-Minute Mentor CD?
Please respect our copyright. Due to copyright laws, creating and distributing copies is strictly prohibited, even for internal use.
Purchase a Campus Access License to provide campus wide access to our product, a Campus Access License agreement allows your institution to load a 20-Minute Mentor CD onto a password-protected internal web site for unlimited, convenient, on-demand access to members of your campus community on your campus network.
If you need additional copies of a specific title, contact our Customer Service Department email@example.com for a reduced rate on additional copies.
Can I place the Magna 20-Minute Mentor CD on reserve in our institution's library?
Yes, it would be within copyright guidelines to have the CD on reserve in your library. The CD, like any of our newsletters or books, can be routed or placed in a central location for others to use. Please respect our copyright, duplication is not permitted.