Students can choose from four sessions in each workshop set.
Workshop Set #1 Networking
Thursday March 30, 2017
The Elevator Pitch ExperienceWhat Every College Student Needs To Know® About Crafting A Killer Elevator Pitch
Presenter: Tony DAngelo
An elevator pitch is a brief speech used to spark interest in what you and/or your organization does. A good elevator pitch should last no longer than a short elevator ride of 20 to 30 seconds, hence the name and why this overview is so short! Oh- and yes!- you will practice your pitch in an actual elevator!Learning Goals:
- Discover the KEY secret to designing a Killer Elevator Pitch
- Learn how many words are in the Perfect Elevator Pitch
- Craft their own 30 Second Elevator Pitch
- Test their own Killer Elevator Pitch in an actual elevator
Please note, due to the time/space constraints of this experience, only one student per school should attend this session.
The Communication Experiment: Meeting People without the Awkward
Presenter: Joe Urbanski
Tired of the same old boring, cheesy ice breakers? Then get ready for this experiment in connecting with others in a meaningful, relevant, and seemingly magical way! Whether you need a simple get-to-know-you conversation starter, a quick game to build community bonds, or an outrageous, energy-driven exercise to demolish comfort zones, this session will not only help you connect with others at the conference, but help you apply the same strategies back on your campus to increase engagement, retention, and school spirit. Lets experiment!
The Networking Remix
Presenter: Mr. Jeff Dess
This up-tempo session is filled with the hits of today's music and will provide a fun look at networking and meeting people. This is more than just shaking hands and elevator pitches. The Networking Remix is when networking decides to get turned up.
Workshop Set #2 Communication
Friday March 31, 2017
Practical Improv For Leadership - Simple and fun techniques to be a better, more productive student leader
Presenter: Dave Collins
"Improv" is the practice of unplanned interaction with others. That means that improvisation is a skill practiced by everyone, every single day. As much as we would like to rehearse and practice our lines for critical moments, there's no script sitting on our desk each morning, outlining all the things we'll say and do throughout the day. Learning simple tools for improvising better is a highly effective way to improve individual and team outcomes for student leaders. This session will teach the basics of improvisation and how to apply it to everyday communication to make students more effective leaders, communicators, and collaborators.Learning Goals:
- Yes, And. Learn techniques for listening to and building on a teammates ideas to move a conversation forward. Practice turning negative interactions into constructive opportunities.
- Full-Body Listening. Facial expression and body language listening practice. Practice using non-verbal communication methods.
- Storytelling. As an individual or group, practice using Yes, and improv techniques to co-create a compelling and creative narrative that catches a listeners attention. Explore the ways that digital communication (text, email, voice) change the way that stories and messages are understood.
- Improvised Public Speaking. Practice presenting on a topic or responding to questions with little to no preparation time.
Just Because I am...Doesn't Mean... What you think but never say...
Presenter: Stanley Pearson II
Just Because... I am... What you think but never say. This is the most thought-provoking conversation and activity that you will ever experience. This session is about inclusion and having easy conversations about tough topics. We will discuss layers of our life and how we can learn from each other and grow in the process. "Just Because I am..." will be a great time; the more people in the room, the better.Learning Goals:
- How to have easy conversions about tough topics
- How important it is to consider everyone's thoughts and feelings
- Where the disconnect is in relationships and in social interactions
Drop the Drama
Presenter: David Stollman
Drama. Arent you sick of it?! We watch miscommunications fester and create discord, disillusionment, and disinterest. What if more of members of our organization were capable of having the honest, often difficult but necessary conversations? These soft skills, the ability to have difficult conversations, to confront others without negativity, and to receive critical feedback are prized by employers. Training now will prepare you for success in life. Learn the individual and group strategies to create a more respectful, caring and welcoming organization.Learning Goals:
- Effective confrontation skills
- How to receive critical feedback how to be confronted
- Personal and organizational expectations that enhance a positive communication culture within an organization
Supreme Social Shift
Presenter: Max Collinge
We are in the midst of the biggest change in how we communicate in human history. As we advance to have even more virtual contact with one another we are unwittingly sacrificing much of our face-to-face communication skills. After understanding how the use of social media and other virtual communication channels damages our face-to-face communication, we move into a series of exercises and techniques which the audience can use to boost self-esteem, emotional intelligence, and the ability to make a positive impression on other people.Learning Goals:
- How to make an exceptional first impression
- Increase emotional intelligence when dealing with others
- Understand the unique emerging climate around leadership
Workshop Set #3 Personal Improvement
Friday, March 31, 2017
The Power of Personal Decisions
Presenter: Andrea Mosby-Jones
Using the acronym DECISIONS, well walk through the factors you must consider when making important personal choices. From having determination to taking control of your lives, students will see how to lead yourself and have a solid and successful connection with the organizations you are leading.Learning Goals:
- Knowing you have a voice and trusting it
- Leading from a place of integrity and walking in your truth
- Being confident of your unique purpose and vision
Value Based Brand Building
Presenter: David Stollman
Why are some organizations on your campus known and respected while others resort to shocking, even offensive advertising to get noticed? It isn't hard to understand that advertising an event and building a brand for an organization aren't the same thing. In a coordinated campaign of social media and old school printed collateral you can develop a multi-platform approach that isn't a full time job but still achieves real results. Learn proven strategies how to exemplify the highest qualities of leadership while building awareness for your organization.Learning Goals:
- Why organization values matter
- What is the essential cross-section of "Brand Building" and "Values Alignment
- How to maximize the use of social media to communicate organization values
Work Well. Play More! Crash course for productivity and health
Presenter: Marcey Rader
Talk doesn't cook rice. Don't talk about being healthy and productive or wait until 'someday' comes around. Start now. Get the tools you need to move more, eat for energy, eliminate your distractions and work in your line of genius. Talk doesn't cook rice. Don't talk about being healthy and productive or wait until 'someday' comes around. Start now. Get the tools you need to move more, eat for energy, eliminate your distractions and work in your line of genius. Create Genius time to increase focus and concentration Choose foods for positive relationship interactions and improved decision-making. Find Movement Opportunities to enhance alertness and decrease counterfeit energy.Learning Goals:
- Techniques to increase focus and effortful control
- Nutrition hacks and behaviors to improve decision-making
- Identify how to create a movement opportunity with a consistent behavior and trigger
From the Dorm Room to the Boardroom: Five Must-Have Executive Skills for Student Leaders
Presenter: Dr. Brandi Baldwin-Rana
Professional polish is what it takes to succeed in a professional setting after college. What made you successful in college won't guarantee your success in the real world. To win as a professional, there are three things you must have: the look, the feel, and the appeal. You must look the part by projecting a polished brand and image. You must make others feel good when they're around you. Finally, you have to appeal to different types of people. Get ahead of the game by designing your own professional brand before you even graduate.Learning Goals:
- Learn how important professional polish is for career success
- Identify specific ways to develop your "look, feel, and appeal"
- Design your very own professional branding strategy
Workshop Set #4 Career Readiness
Saturday, April 1, 2017
Major Key Marketing: What Can We Learn From DJ Khaled
Presenter: Monica Mickel
With an extraordinarily competitive employment market, college students must find creative and innovative ways to stand out from the crowd in today's world. How do you demonstrate marketability as you enter the job market? In this session, we'll dig into hip hop producer DJ Khaled top four #majorkey marketing tips that you can use to maximize your job search outcomes after college.Learning Goals:
- Discover your personal brand
- Learn effective marketing tools to maximize your job search outcomes after college
- Create a marketing action plan for your future
You Suck At Negotiating! But, You Don't Have To
Presenter: Tony Perzow
We all negotiate on a daily basis. However, the majority of people -- and organizations -- have had no formal negotiation training. This paradox has a significant impact on the choices your people make every single day with customers and vendors. Mindful Negotiation training will guide business leaders, teams, individual employees, and the entire organization through a step-by-step process that will open the door to more skillful and clarity driven choices. Are you negotiating to win or merely negotiating not to lose?Learning Goals:
- Implement practical tactics thatll make you more money
- Implement practical counter tactics thatll help you protect the money you already have
- Implement tried, tested and true techniques thatll ensure your counterparts satisfaction in any negotiation
Presenter: Dave Collins
Networking and interviewing for a first job after graduation can be a stressful endeavor. Luckily, there are some simple ways to make these professional conversations more enjoyable, conversational and fun. In this career skills workshop, we'll work on techniques to prepare students to use storytelling techniques to describe how the skills they've learned as students fit into a professional context. We'll also practice using conversational tools for engaging and connecting with potential employers through face to face networking and interviewing.
The Alternate Resume
Presenter: Mr. Jeff Dess
This session will provide students with non-traditional tips to prepare for their careers in the future. Participants will create an alternate resume to highlight modern skills needed for new type of jobs, entrepreneurship opportunities, and traditional jobs. The job market is changing but are you? This is where it starts.
Workshop Set #5 Leadership
Saturday, April 1, 2017
FEARLESS Leadership Conquering our Inner Fears to Lead Out-Front
Presenter: Darryl Bellamy
Whats the ONE thing holding you back from being the leader you want to become? After collecting and cataloging thousands of fears from around the country, Darryl has a grasp on the top fears holding you back from achieving your desired results. When he first started collecting the fears of students he was impressed by the vulnerability, self-awareness, and rawness of the students written fears. Darryl now uses that same research to help students overcome their top fears. Through a three-step formula, you will gain a clearer sense of your overall purpose and leave empowered to conquer your fears to propel you and your campus onwards. You will visualize past moments of gratitude in a powerful concluding exercise.Learning Goals:
- Differentiate between fear meant to protect vs. fear meant to motivate
- Define fear and restate the true definition: False Evidence Appearing Real
- Reframe your everyday setbacks into assets as you step up and lead
How to Herd Cats and Dominate Your Universe in Leadership With Complete Instructions
Presenter: J. Thurman
This session is a combination of music, beach balls, education, fun, engagement, and game changing information you can implement right now. Learn the psych techniques that millennials need to dominate and make a lasting impact.Learning Goals:
- Instantly connection to your team with the least amount of resistance
- Overcome objections from your team by identifying the influencers and getting maximum effect
- Increase participation in team activities by introducing more accountability and getting people on task and on time
Hit and Run Home!
Presenter: Kinja Dixon
It is not what happens to you. It is how you respond to what happens to you. That above statement sounds good but there was a time where I completely disagreed. For a huge part of my life, the outside events controlled the thoughts that I had on the inside. Most of my earlier life when I would get HIT with the curve balls that life threw(missed sales target, disagreements, speeding ticket and the list can go on and on) I would always run HOME, which could be a number of safe activities that would take me away from my hurt. Those activities consisted of a mixture of excessive TV watching, drinking, partying, over-eating, etc. What are your safe zones? This interactive program addresses over-all life development at the core by sharing a simple approach on how to completely change your perceptions and turn all life HITS into HOME RUNS.Learning Goals:
- Directly align your current life issues to specific times in your life when the program was downloaded due to environment
- Create a four-section life grading system that develops a simple way to search for areas of opportunity when drama, conflict, or confusion occurs
- How to use a three-step process to immediately reverse the mindset behind any areas of opportunity in your life
Your Next Defining Moment
Presenter: Joe Urbanski
Weve all had defining moments in our lives. Its easy to look back to discover why you are who you are. But what if you could predict the future? What if you could look forward and intentionally create your next defining leadership moment? What if you could help your friends and the organizations that youre a part of also create their next defining moment. Now that would be something. This is where youll begin Your Next Defining Moment.
Please check this page for updates to workshop sessions and presenters.