Take Note: Strategies to Develop Student Note-Taking Skills
Here’s how to turn your students into competent, motivated note-takers
Most students aren’t particularly effective note-takers. They don’t know the best way to go about it, they’re not often challenged on the quality of their note-taking, and they’re rarely motivated to take good notes.
Fortunately, there are techniques you can quickly and easily introduce in your courses that will drive better student note-taking. Maryellen Weimer, Ph.D., shares them in the Magna Online Course Take Note: Strategies to Develop Student Note-Taking Skills.
In this idea-filled, on-demand program, Dr. Weimer—longtime editor of The Teaching Professor newsletter and blog—provides research-based and classroom-tested developmental strategies. She explains how:
- Note-taking provides not just a useful end product but “process” benefits like improved listening skills
- Teacher-provided notes can impede learning
- Simple classroom assignments can demonstrate to students the value of note-taking
- Poor note-taking skills can be improved with a variety of easy-to-implement exercises
- Allowing limited use of notes during exams can drive better note-taking
- You can help students meet the challenge of note-taking from assigned readings
- You can encourage effective note-taking from classroom discussions
By focusing on exercises and activities that make the benefits of good note-taking plain to students, Dr. Weimer provides you with tools that are not just instructional but also motivational—designed to get your students to care about a subject they might otherwise find uninspiring.
At the conclusion of the program, you’ll be able to:
- Introduce exercises that convince students of the benefits of good note-taking
- Create classroom assignments that reward improved note-taking
- Help students develop effective strategies for note-taking from lectures, readings, and discussions
Inspire your students to improve a skill that will serve them well in the classroom and far beyond. Order Take Note: Strategies to Develop Student Note-Taking Skills today!
Product Code: TJ15EA