Take Note: Strategies to Develop Student Note-Taking Skills
Winter Enrichment Course
COURSE DATE: November 24, 2019 Ė January 18, 2020
When it comes to taking notes, many students may just ask "Why bother?"
Well, there are actually many different answers to this question, filled with the beneficial results of note-taking.
First things first, notes are an essential part of preparation for exams and term papers. Also, note-taking improves process-oriented skills like listening Ė important to success in any endeavor. Plus, students will discover that note-taking has benefits to last a lifetime.
Simply put, note-taking is an important skill by any standard. Whatís more, itís one that can be taught Ė and Take Note: Strategies to Develop Student Note-Taking Skills will show you how.
Presented by Maryellen Weimer, PhD, longtime editor of The Teaching Professor, this course takes a deep dive into the many strategies you can use to make students better and more efficient note-takers. Once you complete this course, youíll have the knowledge and tools to make a real impact on class preparation, exam performance, and student satisfaction!
With an emphasis on research-based, classroom-tested best practices, the course shares valuable insights on:
- Why you must resist the urge to provide notes to students
- How to convince skeptical students of the value of note-taking
- How simple exercises can help you correct poor note-taking habits
- How properly crafted exams can help drive better note-taking
- How to improve note-taking in lectures and classroom discussions
- How to improve studentsí note-taking in assigned readings
This course can be completed at any pace and accessed from virtually any device. Itís convenient professional development thatís equally valuable for individual learners and institutional learning communities.
The course comes with a variety of supplemental materials to support the content, including full transcripts, links to online resources, suggested readings, and handouts. Youíll also find a final check on learning that leads to a certificate of completion.
At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Motivate students to improve their note-taking
- Create classroom exercises that hone note-taking skills
- Mentor students in best practices for capturing notes in readings and lectures
How It Works:
- At the start of the course on November 24, 2019, participants will receive an email with information on accessing the online course
- Participants can work through the course at their own pace. Participants can also review information in a previous unit as well as read supplemental materials and watch the accompanying videos as many times as they like within the session date of November 24, 2019 - January 18, 2020.
- Upon completion of each unit, participants will take an assessment to gauge progress
- A discussion board brings educators together for an enriching, national conversation about higher education
- For the duration of the course, participants can use the discussion forum to interact with other participants nationwide and discuss the course content
- At the end of the course, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion
- Video programs
- Assessments, including a final exam
- Transcripts of all video programs
- Program slides
- Online discussion forum
- Certificate of Completion for the course
Reserve your seat(s) using the order box on the right. Discount pricing is for multiple seats purchased at the same time:
# of people
1 to 4
$199 per seat
5 to 19
$99 per seat
20 to 39
$79 per seat
For 40 or more seats, please contact Magna Sales at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-433-0499 ext. 183.
Product Code: PO19QA