7 Things to Consider Before Developing an Online Course
Thursday, January 31, 2019 | 1:00 PM Central | 60 Minutes
$247 per connection through 01/18/19, $297 thereafter
Online degree programs and individual courses are on the rise. A recent report indicates 44 percent of surveyed faculty have taught online, and 89 percent of those report being involved in the design of the course (Inside Higher Ed, 2018). That means there is a good chance that you’ll find yourself tasked with developing an online course soon—if you haven’t already. And there’s a better chance that you’ll be given a very short deadline to get the work done.
This Magna Online Seminar gives you strategies to maximize your planning and design timeframe—all leading to a more efficient course (i.e. less stress for you when you’re teaching) and a better experience for your students. Join us on January 31 for 7 Things to Consider Before Developing an Online Course, a Magna Online Seminar led by Brian Udermann, PhD. You’ll learn how to allow for adequate time to develop a course, explore avenues to find course content, prioritize the content students need to learn, create an instructor participation plan, determine what course assessments will be used, estimate the overall workload associated with developing and teaching an online course, and use existing faculty support services available to help with course design and planning.
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Understanding the benefits of time spent planning on the front-end of developing online courses and how this can lead to both decreased stress for faculty and increased course quality
- Learn step-by-step planning and preparation actions that will positively impact identifying and developing course content, activities, and assessments
- Identify the benefits of developing an instructor participation plan, determining how technology will be used in a course, and considering workload management in the early stages of course design and development
- How to establish a reasonable timeline for designing and developing an online course
- What the benefits of planning an online course while teaching the same course face-to-face are
- Which avenues to explore to find course content
- How to determine what content is most important for students to learn
- How to consider and establish the course navigation look
- Determining how technology will be used in the class
- Creating an instructor participation plan
- Identifying ways to build student-to-student and student-to-faculty interaction into an online course
- Determining what course assessments will be used
- Learning how advanced planning can help manage the workload related to online teaching
- Discovering how to use the existing faculty support services available at an institution
- A quality course review rubric to review prior to course development
This seminar will benefit:
- Instructional Designers
- Instructional Technologists
- eLearning Specialists
- Department Chairs
- Anyone working in online course development in higher education, K-12, or business
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- A single connection to the live seminar (one connection per purchased registration)
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- On-demand access for 1-year after the seminar airs on 01/31/19
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the live seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available. Additional connections for other locations or branch campuses can be purchased for $100 per additional connection. Contact Magna Customer Service at 800-433-0499 to add additional connections for the rebroadcasted seminar.
MAGNA ONLINE SEMINAR PASS
Access 12 Months of Online Seminars
With the purchase of the Magna Online Seminar Pass, you will gain access to all the live seminars within a 12-month period. Covering a variety of relevant topics from academic thought leaders, Magna Online Seminars are incomparable in the way they promote continued staff and faculty development. And now, with a Magna Online Seminar Pass, you can get more of these seminars for less!
The Magna Online Seminar Pass is a sensible and affordable subscription membership that gives you access to every live Magna Online Seminar produced over the course of a 12-month period (minimum of 25 seminars). Purchase a subscription today!
CAMPUS ACCESS LICENSE
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC19BA