Effective Assessment Strategies for Large Classes
Wednesday, February 20, 2019 | 1:00 PM Central | 60 Minutes
Due to practical demands, many professors are required to teach large-section classes with hundreds of students. If you have ever taught a large-section class, you understand how difficult it is to individually grade papers, assignments, or projects, or meet with hundreds of students one-on-one to provide individual feedback. There must be a better way—right?
Join us on February 20 for Effective Assessment Strategies for Large Classes, a Magna Online Seminar led by Anthony Sweat. Using peer assessment, self-assessment, creative coursework design, grading rubrics, and technology, educators can offer meaningful feedback and effective grading approaches in large-section classes. Discover ideas that you will be able to incorporate almost immediately from an educator who has successfully used this approach.
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate how to incorporate peer-to-peer feedback for formative and summative assessments
- Incorporate student self-assessment
- Analyze the difference between well-structured and poorly structured grading rubrics for efficient and consistent grading by teaching assistants
- Understand how to use technology to provide automated feedback on multiple choice questions
- Implement an outcome-based, cumulative semester project
- Meaningful assignments in large classes
- Creating and following clearly defined rubrics for effective yet efficient grading
- Using peer-to-peer assessment for formative and summative assessment
- Using student self-evaluation for formative and summative assessment
- Using technology (such as an LMS system) to provide automated feedback on multiple choice
- Implementing outcome-based projects
- Cumulative alignment in semester assessments
This seminar will benefit:
- Teaching and learning coordinators
- Teaching and learning consultants
- Academic deans
- Department chairs
- Faculty mentors
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- A single connection to the live seminar (one connection per purchased registration)
- On-demand access for 1-year after the seminar airs on 02/20/19
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the live seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available. Additional connections for other locations or branch campuses can be purchased for $100 per additional connection. Contact Magna Customer Service at 800-433-0499 to add additional connections for the rebroadcasted seminar.
MAGNA ONLINE SEMINAR PASS
Access 12 Months of Online Seminars
With the purchase of the Magna Online Seminar Pass, you will gain access to all the live seminars within a 12-month period. Covering a variety of relevant topics from academic thought leaders, Magna Online Seminars are incomparable in the way they promote continued staff and faculty development. And now, with a Magna Online Seminar Pass, you can get more of these seminars for less!
The Magna Online Seminar Pass is a sensible and affordable subscription membership that gives you access to every live Magna Online Seminar produced over the course of a 12-month period (minimum of 25 seminars). Purchase a subscription today!
CAMPUS ACCESS LICENSE
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC19FA