Rebroadcast: Wake Them Up! Engaging Students in the 21st Century Classroom
Thursday, February 8, 2018 | 60 Minutes
$247 per connection through 01/24/18, $297 thereafter
Students in higher education are suffering from “death by PowerPoint” and are losing their desire to learn.
That students must be engaged to understand their course material fully is widely recognized. And yet—despite the evidence showing that 21st-century learners not only prefer active, student-centered learning but are also more successful at comprehending complex ideas or mastering difficult skills through this approach—the lecture with slides is still the norm.
Many instructors feel they must choose between driving academic performance and nurturing student engagement. But the truth is that you can do both.
This online seminar, “Wake Them Up! Engaging Students in the 21st Century Classroom,” explores the basic research behind student-centered, active learning and how active learning increases classroom engagement as well as student success and retention.
For years, educators have been keenly aware of the all-too-present achievement gaps affecting students in today’s educational landscape. But they frequently overlook one underlying cause: the engagement gap.
Addressing engagement in the classroom will not only improve individual student achievement and success but also lead to a more dynamic and rewarding experience for the instructor. Participants will better understand
- How engagement is the key to learning, success, and retention
- How to navigate the research behind student-centered, active learning
- How to identify teaching options and techniques beyond the “PowerPoint lecture”
- How to create engagement with and without the support of technology
- How to increase engagement without increasing your workload
You will learn strategies to help them achieve performance targets while also restoring student engagement through a variety of practical, actionable teaching techniques. After completing the seminar, you will be able to:
- Recognize current research dealing with engagement, learning, and retention
- Understand how engagement affects memory
- Pinpoint 10 different non technical ways to increase engagement
- Identify 10 different web/mobile tools to increase engagement
- Keep students awake in class, even at 8am on a Monday
Here is an opportunity to explore current thinking on student engagement in the classroom from the international speaker on media literacy and classroom engagement and author of Master the Media: How Teaching Media Literacy Can Save Our Plugged-In World.
- The importance of engagement to student learning and success
- The research behind student-centered, active learning
- Technological tools to energize teaching and learning in the classroom
- Non technological techniques to help you transition beyond the “lecture with slides”
- Innovative and effective teaching methods to help you work smarter, not harder
This seminar is intended for those who are interested in closing the engagement gap while enhancing critical thinking skills, encouraging communication and discussion, and restoring focus and excitement in the classroom. This will include the following:
- Instructors keen to enhance engagement in the 21st-century classroom
- Instructional designers interested in exploring fresh teaching options and techniques
- Learning consultants looking to increase student engagement without increasing workload
This seminar is an opportunity for you to inspire higher-education students to meet and exceed expectations for learning and participation while they prepare for success in the business world.
Order today for a chance to transform the classroom experience and reconnect with your fervor for teaching and
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- On-demand access for 1-year after the seminar airs on 02/08/17
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the live seminar is accessed while available.
Please Note: Rebroadcasted seminars do not include a "live" Q&A.
MAGNA ONLINE SEMINAR PASS
Access 12 Months of Online Seminars
With the purchase of the Magna Online Seminar Pass, you will gain access to all the live seminars within a 12-month period. Covering a variety of relevant topics from academic thought leaders, Magna Online Seminars are incomparable in the way they promote continued staff and faculty development. And now, with a Magna Online Seminar Pass, you can get more of these seminars for less!
The Magna Online Seminar Pass is a sensible and affordable subscription membership that gives you access to every live Magna Online Seminar produced over the course of a 12-month period (minimum of 25 seminars). Purchase a subscription today!
CAMPUS ACCESS LICENSE
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC18NA