The Flipped Approach to Online Teaching and Learning
Can You Flip an Online Class? Yes, You Can!
Flipping a classroom is a pedagogical approach that enables instructors to create student-centered learning environments by changing when and how certain activities happen.
However, most of the conversations have only focused on the face-to-face classroom experience where students participate in activities during class time and watch videos outside of class time.
But what if you teach in an online environment without traditional "class time"? Can you still integrate flipped strategies?
In The Flipped Approach to Online Teaching and Learning analyze current definitions and models for the flipped class and explore how to expand and adapt these definitions to include online learning environments.
Ultimately, flipped classrooms, active learning, and inverted course design models all have students engaging in activities, applying concepts, and focusing on higher-level learning outcomes during class time. The lower-level activities (according to Bloom’s Taxonomy) happen before class. This is true whether the course is entirely face-to-face, entirely online, or a blend of the two.
However, flipping will look a bit different in blended and online learning environments, particularly those that are asynchronous.
While technology can certainly help instructors create student-centered learning environments in their online and blended classrooms, there is more to flipping than recording lectures and embracing new software. The entire planning process for flipping online instruction is a bit different, but it doesn’t have to be daunting.
You can experience a flipped lesson for yourself and learn how to immediately apply successful flipping concepts and strategies to the courses you’re teaching right now in The Flipped Approach to Online Teaching and Learning.
During the seminar, you won’t just learn what successful flipping looks like; you’ll experience it yourself because the seminar itself contains flipped components. That kind of firsthand experience that puts you in your students’ shoes is both rare and invaluable.
After watching The Flipped Approach to Online Teaching and Learning, you will:
- Have an expanded definition of what it means to flip a learning environment
- Be able to analyze a lesson plan for an online course in an effort to identify opportunities to flip lessons
- Know how to develop one flipped strategy for an online or blended lesson
This seminar delivers the best ideas and strategies from professionals at the forefront of student-centered learning.
As you experience this seminar, learn how to:
- Use flipped language when planning or discussing the online class
- Expand the definition of a flipped classroom beyond the video-then-class model in an effort to make flipping a framework of support for you in your efforts to create engaging learning environments through inverted design
- Look for “flippable” moments in online learning environments
- Plan a flipped lesson for an online unit or module
- Use flipped strategies in the introduction to an online course
- Prepare students for the online flipped experience
The Flipped Approach to Online Teaching and Learning is valuable for any instructor who wants to adopt more deliberate student-centered learning approaches.
Whether you’re new to the flipped classroom or have been experimenting with it for a while, this seminar offers insights gleaned from current research and best practices as well as strategies for applying those concepts to the courses you teach.
The following people would find the seminar to be particularly useful:
- Assistant professors
- Associate professors
- Graduate teaching assistants
- Postdoctoral scholars
- Teaching center directors
- Faculty development consultants
- Adjunct faculty
- Instructional technology consultants
- Instructional designers
- Distance education instructors
Order today. You will finish the seminar with some accessible and actionable tactics for flipping lessons immediately—and without drastically revising your current course designs.
Product Code: PR14DA