How Can I Best Learn from My Mentor?
Gain insights on your way to gaining tenure
After all the years of schooling, all the writing, all the exacting examinations, you did it! You got a job on the faculty of a college or university.
That’s how the program presenters kick off How Can I Best Learn from My Mentor, a Magna 20-Minute Mentor, and in less time than you’ll spend filling out your new employee paperwork—just 20 minutes—they’ll show you how to find and make the most of the help available to you.
The presenters' goal is to give you the tools you need to thrive on the way to tenure. Working with mentors can help you:
- Become a more productive scholar
- Improve your teaching
- Understand how things work on your campus
- Practice collegial behavior with your coworkers
- Find balance between your personal and professional lives
Obtaining all these benefits requires a concerted effort on your part, and this program gives you a strategic approach to do just that. You’ll learn:
- What you need to understand about how senior faculty see you
- What you need to convey in order to receive assistance
- How to respond appropriately to feedback
After participating in this program, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the basic principles of effective mentoring programs and apply them in your individual situation
- Design a mentoring program with rigorous yet attainable goals
- Practice working through the four major stages of mentoring development with the guidance of your mentors
- Identify additional sources of mentoring support
Starting a new job at a college or university is terrifically exciting—but it’s also tough.
It’s challenging to juggle the teaching, research, and citizenship responsibilities of higher education today. Understanding and adapting to the culture of a new department take effort too.
That’s why mentoring is garnering increasing recognition as a key factor in faculty development.
Drawing on their unique blend of experience, your presenters cover the dos and don’ts of mentoring, sharing a brass tacks approach that’s grounded in basic principles. You’ll learn:
- New faculty attitudes that alienate senior faculty
- The best questions to ask formal and informal mentors
- Mentoring techniques for turning your weaknesses into strengths
- Top considerations when setting goals with mentors
- The biggest challenge new faculty members face, and how mentoring can help
How Can I Best Learn from My Mentor? will be helpful for all new faculty members.
Participating in this program will give you insights you can use to learn from others, avoid common pitfalls, and support your tenure review process.
One of the greatest challenges new faculty face is learning how to juggle the multiple demands on their time. Listening to those who have been there is a great way to address the issue of balance.
You may be just starting this phase of your academic life, but there’s no time to waste. Get your career off to a great start with How Can I Best Learn from My Mentor? Order today.
Product Code: PM13DA