How Can I Use Discussion to Facilitate Learning?
Structure and plan classroom discussion
Focused, energizing classroom discussions that involve everyone are what higher education instructors dream of. Too bad they don’t just happen.
But you can learn the careful planning and structuring it takes to make them happen in How Can I Use Discussion to Facilitate Learning?, a Magna 20-Minute Mentor.
This fast and focused video seminar will show you how to structure and plan classroom discussions to maximize student engagement, student participation, and learning.
Research has documented the benefits of classroom discussion, including:
- Increased learning
- Improved critical thinking
- Greater ownership of their learning experience
- More fun
After completing this grading and feedback focused program, you’ll be able to:
- Recognize when classroom norms limit student engagement and participation
- Access new pedagogical tools to engage students in classroom discussion
- Implement new teaching strategies to increase the quality and focus of classroom discussion
The program presenter in this session reveals classroom norms that inhibit discussion and how to avoid them:
- The norm of civil attitudes – which says it’s OK if students only look like they’re paying attention
- The norm of the consolidation of responsibility – which says that no matter how large your class, five to seven students will do most of the talking
You’ll learn proven teaching strategies to avoid these hazards and increase student engagement and student participation by:
- Changing routines for the first day of class
- Rewarding and reinforcing the participation you want
- Using small student-discussion groups
Learn the careful planning and structuring it takes to make focused classroom discussions happen. This session shows you how to structure and plan classroom discussions to maximize student engagement, student participation, and learning. Order today.
Since the need for teaching strategies to improve student engagement cuts across disciplines, consider purchasing a Campus Access License so your colleagues across campus can access this important content.
Product Code: PM13AA