How Do I Accommodate Student Veterans with Disabilities?
Practical information to help you better serve veterans
What do these letters – p, q, b, and d – have in common?
People with learning disabilities can have a hard time telling them apart, turning even the simplest reading assignment into an exercise in frustration.
Yet this is only one of the cognitive challenges veterans returning to higher education may have to face.
Two of the signature injuries of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan are traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder, resulting in acquired disabilities that can affect an individual’s ability to learn and process information in many ways.
Discover effective responses to the learning needs of today’s student veterans in How Do I Accommodate Student Veterans with Disabilities?
This program is also available as part of Student Veteran 4-pack
After participating in this session, you will be able to:
- Recognize the impact acquired disabilities have on students
- Discern the difference between associative and cognitive tasks
- Understand the impact of acquired disabilities on learning
Using innovative screen shots, this specific student population presentation also gives you an idea of what it feels like to have various cognitive disorders. While urging instructors to work with campus disability services to arrange academic accommodations for student veterans, the presenter shows you how thoughtful course design can help all students have free and equal access to information.
In this fast and focused session, the program presenter shares practical information to help you better serve those who have served this country.
You’ll learn how making simple adjustments to the way you teach face-to-face will make it easier for student veterans to succeed, such as:
- Giving students enough time to respond to class discussion questions
- Helping students prepare for class by making class outlines and PowerPoint presentations available in advance
- Letting students continue readings and assignments at home
- Providing instructions orally and in writing to accommodate those who might have difficulties comprehending either format
Help improve the educational experience for all students with disabilities by making How Do I Accommodate Student Veterans with Disabilities?widely available. With a Campus Access License, all members of your campus community can access this session at their convenience through your institution’s internal website./p>
Share the support, place your order now.
Product Code: PM22GA