How Do I Develop a High-Impact Capstone Course?
Construct a capstone course for specific learning
Capstone courses help students synthesize their college education before they embark on professional careers or graduate studies.
The Magna 20-Minute Mentor, How Do I Develop a High-Impact Capstone Course?, shows you how to construct a capstone course for specific learning outcomes.
Sometimes described as “senior seminars” or “senior experiences,” capstone courses help students transition between their college years and careers or ongoing graduate study. This senior experience gives students the opportunity to:
- Recognize their new knowledge and skills
- Identify areas where they need work
- Solve problems in real-world situations
- Enhance critical-thinking skills
- Practice effective communication
After completing this course design program, you will be able to:
- Design a capstone course
- Articulate learning outcomes
- Select activities to help students achieve learning outcomes
- Guide students through reflection
- Evaluate student performance
Capstone courses help students synthesize their college education before they embark on professional careers or graduate studies. How Do I Develop a High-Impact Capstone Course? shows you how to construct a capstone course for specific learning outcomes.
The program presenter describes:
- The philosophy and purpose behind capstone courses
- Four models of capstone courses—departmental disciplinary, interdisciplinary, independent studies-based, and honors thesis
- Six essential steps in capstone course design
- Examples of capstone courses from different disciplines
Experiential learning enriches students’ senior year experiences on many levels—and can serve as a professional introduction to the field when students publish or present their work at conferences. Order this program today and enrich your students’ senior year.
Since capstone courses promote critical thinking across disciplines, consider purchasing a Campus Access License so all your colleagues can access this valuable information at their convenience through your internal campus website.
Product Code: PM22CA