How Should I Handle Pushy Parents?
Dealing with Parents of Students
Parents worry. Some are concerned about their children’s relationships, academic stand, or living arrangements. And some parents bring their concerns to bear when speaking with faculty members…sometimes at the top of their lungs.
So what should you do?
In this Magna 20-Minute Mentor, How Should I Handle Pushy Parents?, the presenter suggests that you see this type of situation as a “teachable moment" for the parent and recommends applying your skills as a teacher to create a better result.
At the conclusion of How Should I Handle Pushy Parents?, you will have:
- An understanding of how to get out in front of the problem by outlining early expectations in the syllabus
- A better understanding of the motivations of pushy, needy and aggressive parents
- Techniques to employ to redirect parents and to help them positively advocate for their children
- An improved ability to collaborate with parents of students in a way that reduces frustration and protects boundaries
During this professional development program, you will:
- Learn about the costs associated with taking a “hard line” approach with overprotective and aggressive parents in efforts to shift them away from these behaviors
- Learn practical skills and theories and review case examples of how parents engage in pushy, needy and aggressive behavior
- Receive a list of 5 best practices for dealing with difficult parents
- Learn the art of referral and redirection as a way to manage aggressive and overly involved parents
- Watch a role play of how a faculty member like you might best work with a difficult parent
The classroom management program also includes supplemental materials that feature “How to” guidelines and a rubric that shows both poor and better responses to common questions from parents.
Purchase How Should I Handle Pushy Parents? today and learn how to imply your teaching skills to tackle issues with pushy parents.
Product Code: PM09NA