Peer Reviews of Online Teaching: What Works Best?
How to Stay in Compliance
The peer review of teaching—like the peer review of research—is a widely accepted practice for assessing the quality of academic work and is required for promotion and tenure at many institutions.
When conducting online faculty peer reviews, guidance for the reviewer is vital. Starting with a set of standards is a critical first step that is sometimes neglected.
This Magna 20-Minute Mentor program, Peer Reviews of Online Teaching: What Works Best? walks you through a step-by-step guide created by the program presenter. This guide was based on Chickering and Gamson’s Seven Principles of Good Practice in Undergraduate Education and is adapted for online teaching.
By using the peer review guide outlined in this program, you can be sure your online courses follow these best practices:
- Include an appropriate mix of contact between faculty and students
- Involve reciprocity and cooperation between students
- Incorporate active learning
- Provide timely feedback
- Emphasize time on task
- Communicate high expectations
- Respect for diverse talents and ways of learning
Peer review helps ensure quality teaching. Having a sound peer review guide will help you offer accurate and consistent feedback so you can maintain a high degree of pedagogical excellence.
After watching Peer Reviews of Online Teaching: What Works Best?, you will understand:
- The importance of utilizing an online course peer review guide
- How to effectively apply Chickering and Gamson’s “Seven Principles” in the online classroom
- How to successfully use and complete the peer review guide, from creation to writing a follow-up summary report
- How to customize the online course peer review resource for your institution
- Where to find faculty development resources designed to support online teaching and the peer review process
Use this guide as a planning tool at the start of the semester to help set your course expectations as well as provide a self-check throughout the class to ensure consistency.
This is a useful resource for any online instructor who wants to provide the best learning experience to his or her students. Order today.
Product Code: PM12CA