Student Veteran 4-pack
Returning veterans today are different from veterans of the past.
They are also different from the majority of students on your campus.
This Magna 20-Minute Mentor 4-pack helps you better serve students who have served their country – at a price and pace both your budget and your schedule can accommodate.
Student veterans have many strengths, including:
- Career focus
- Leadership experience
- Comfort with diversity
- Extensive real-world knowledge
Yet they face significant challenges:
- 46 percent of student veterans have had symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder*
- 35 percent reported severe anxiety*
- 24 percent experienced severe depression*
- 7.7 percent have attempted suicide*
(* Statistics from a 2011 national study published in Professional Psychology: Research and Practice.)
Today’s returning veterans are different from veterans of the past and different from the majority of students on your campus. This Magna 20-Minute Mentor 4-pack helps you better serve student veterans who have served their country. This pack includes:
- What Learning Activities Help Student Veterans Succeed?
Learn how you can use service learning, learning teams, and other educational techniques to help student veterans adapt to the world of higher education
- How Do I Design Courses to Enhance Student Veterans’ Success?
Explore different ways to help student veterans make the most of their strengths by modifying courses based on situational factors, assessments, and shifts in teaching and learning activities
- How Do I Accommodate Student Veterans with Disabilities?
Discover effective responses to the learning needs of today’s student veterans and see how simple techniques such as providing instruction in multiple formats and giving students more time to answer questions in class improve access
- How Can I Help Student Veterans Transition to Campus?
Find out how you can detect the early warning signs of post-traumatic stress disorder and identify factors that can facilitate or complicate a student veteran’s ability to adapt to civilian life
Through this concise and comprehensive pack of presentations, learn how to make a difference in the lives of student veterans with this series of four fast and focused presentations which will make an excellent addition to your student affairs professional development program.
Here is a brief list of what you will learn in this four-CD set:
- How to identify early warning signs of post-traumatic stress disorder and depression
- How to adjust your teaching to meet the needs of student veterans with service-related injuries
- How to adapt everything from course objectives to syllabus design to support student veterans
- How to help student veterans shift from the military’s action-oriented approach to the deliberative style of higher education
With each video presentation running just 20 minutes, concentrated content is the key.
The consummate professional presenters of this program condense their wide-ranging face-to-face experience with student veterans, disabilities, and higher education into practical guidelines you can implement immediately.
Supplemental materials including checklists, resource lists, and discussion questions offer additional support.
Don’t miss out on this exceptional value in professional development which helps specific student populations. Order today and you can purchase all four CDs for less than it would cost to purchase them individually.
Take it campus-wide with the Campus Access License, all members of your campus community can access this session at their convenience through your institution’s internal website. Act now to make support for student veterans a priority on your campus.
Product Code: PM00IA