What Learning Activities Help Student Veterans Succeed?
Understanding the differences between military and
academic decision making
Veterans know transitioning back to civilian life means more than packing away a uniform.
For many, the process involves switching barracks and battlefields for a different training ground – a college or university campus.
In this 20 Minute Mentor you’ll learn practical techniques you can implement immediately to support those who have served our country.
This program is also available as part of the Student Veteran 4-pack.
After completing this specific student populations program, you’ll be able to:
- Implement learning activities to help student veterans succeed
- Understand and explain the differences between military and academic decision making and communication
- Help student veterans learn how to reflect and write for an academic rather than a military environment.
Drawing on principles of adult learning, research, and his own experience creating a program to help the university community better serve student veterans with disabilities, the presenter will help you prepare student veterans for.
You will learn about special challenges student veterans face, including:
- Shifting from a rapid response, action-oriented decision-making style
- Switching from military communication to an academic approach
- Adapting to a less hierarchical environment
- Additional physical, behavioral, and emotional issues
In this fast and focused session, you’ll also review the unique strengths student veterans bring to the classroom:
- Experience with leadership and diversity
- Mission-focused, goal-directed attitude
- Comfort with assessment
- Teamwork skills
With an emphasis on writing, service-learning, and team-based learning, the presenter shares tips such as:
- Using course structure to help student veterans practice academic-style reflection
- Supporting student veterans by breaking writing assignments into smaller “mission objectives”
- Employing rubrics, blogs, wikis, learning team assignments, and other educational techniques to draw in student veterans
Learn practical techniques you can implement immediately to help student veterans succeed as well as how to teach student veterans how to reflect and write for an academic environment. Purchase today.
With a Campus Access License you can load course content onto your internal campus website and help your colleagues reach out to student veterans as well.
Product Code: PM22FA