New Academic Leaders: Strategies for Success
A new academic leadership position bring exciting opportunities, but difficult challenges too. This course will guide you in capitalizing on your new leadership opportunity and keep your institution moving onward and upward.
Summer Enrichment Course
Session 2: August 2 – September 19, 2020
Are you new to leadership and asked to take on new responsibilities? If so, congratulations! Now how do you quickly learn everything you need to know about leading a team?
New Academic Leaders: Strategies for Success is designed to help newly appointed or promoted academic leaders get off to a successful start in their new position. It includes information about leadership, faculty development, faculty evaluation, and more. Often, promotions come without training and individuals are left to figure things out as they go. This 7-hour course will help you be the leader you’ve always wanted to be and you’ll be taught by our very top leadership experts.
After completing New Academic Leaders: Strategies for Success, educators will:
- Understand how training, removing obstacles, aligning systems, and generating short-term wins can impact successful change efforts
- Identify strategies to promote respectful, professional, and civil climate and behavior in their department
- Learn that it is possible to design faculty development programming that is engaging, effective, and cost-contained, and that faculty will take advantage of
- Be able to design and operate a productive mentoring relationship and support a mentee through the five stages of development
- Learn to make coaching accessible to online faculty members and set up performance boundaries with them
- Understand how to craft appropriate feedback to faculty, whether they are tenure-track, tenured, or part-time instructors.
- Avoid the six biases that affect online teaching evaluation
- Identify 20 strategies for institutionalizing OER and develop a strategy for institutionalizing OER at your institution
You can complete this course at your own pace and access it from virtually any device. It’s convenient professional development that’s equally valuable for individual learners and institutional learning communities.
The course comes with a variety of supplemental materials to support the content, including full transcripts, links to online resources, suggested readings, and handouts. You’ll also find a final check on learning that leads to a certificate of completion.
At the conclusion of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Establish and maintain mentoring relationships with faculty
- Create an environment of civility, collaboration, and respect
- Spearhead high-impact faculty-development
- Manage OER and other forward-looking academic initiatives
- Guide your academic unit successfully through change
How It Works:
- Prior to the start of the course, participants will receive an email with information on accessing the online course.
- Participants can work through the course at their own pace. Participants can also review information in a previous unit as well as read supplemental materials and watch the accompanying videos as many times as they like within their selected session date.
- Upon completion of each unit, participants will take an assessment to gauge progress.
- A discussion board brings educators together for an enriching, national conversation about higher education.
- For the duration of the course, participants can use the discussion forum to interact with other participants nationwide and discuss the course content.
- At the end of the course, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion.
- Video programs
- Assessments, including a final exam
- Transcripts of all video programs
- Program slides
- Supplemental readings and activities
- Online discussion forum
- Certificate of Completion for the course
Reserve your seat(s) using the order box above. Discount pricing is for multiple seats purchased at the same time:
# of people
1 to 4
$199 per seat
5 to 19
$99 per seat
20 to 39
$79 per seat
For 40 or more seats, please contact Magna Sales at email@example.com or call 800-433-0499 ext. 183.
Session 2 Product Code: OO20CD
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Campus Safety, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Specific Student Populations, Strategic Planning, Student Engagement, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- Magna Online Seminar Pass
- Add to cart