9 Ways to Use Class Discussion to Promote Transformation
$297.00 – $497.00
Students can’t overcome bad habits they don’t know they have. We’ll show you how to establish a climate of trust in which students can learn to recognize blind spots, gaps, and contradictions in the way they think. We also share techniques to enhance classroom discussion and make it a vehicle for active learning and intellectual development.
A Vehicle for Active Learning
From our national discourse to our workplace conversations, it seems the need for engaged and constructive dialogue has never been stronger.
However, effective communication—even in the face of disagreement—is seldom modeled today.
Learn how to teach this valuable skill with this 60 minute Magna Online Seminar.
Your presenter will share techniques to enhance classroom discussion and make it a vehicle for active learning and intellectual development.
Classroom discussions give students an opportunity to both delve into their course material and develop their learning skills. But initiating discussion, facilitating participation by everyone and getting students to build on each other’s contributions takes work. In this seminar, you’ll learn how to encourage your students to:
- Listen to and understand opposing viewpoints
- Learn from their mistakes
- Recognize errors in their thinking
- Become effective team players and leaders.
This seminar emphasizes an innovative and practical approach. In Nine Ways to Use Class Discussion to Promote Transformation, you’ll learn:
- How to have students set and follow ground rules for classroom discussion
- How to use short, ungraded writing assignments to deepen thinking and discussion
- How to slow the flow of classroom discussion, and probe deeper
- How to hear from (nearly) everyone
- How to make tangents a gift
- How to keep discussion on track or re-frame it
- How to break up cliques in the classroom
- How to use structured controversy to deal with differences productively
- How to use comments to make the group responsible for its own dynamics
- How to summarize what was learned
- How to infuse variety into classroom discussions
- Adjunct and distance education faculty
- College and university professors
- Academic affairs administrators seeking to boost the benefits of meetings
- Graduate student instructors
- Teaching assistants
- Faculty developers and trainers
- Student affairs leaders and staff.
Learn how to structure discussion to promote cooperative learning. Order Nine Ways to Use Class Discussion to Promote Transformation today.
Product Code: PC11HA
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Campus Safety, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Specific Student Populations, Strategic Planning, Student Engagement, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- Magna Online Seminar Pass
- Add to cart