Magna On-Demand Seminars
Below the Surface: Strategies for Deep and Lasting Learning
Learn how to identify and implement instructional strategies that hold students’ attention, bolster retention rates, and lead to deep learning. This seminar gives you the classroom-tested strategies you need to keep your courses engaging and effective.
Give Them a Class to Remember
What makes a novel a best-seller or a movie a blockbuster? It isn’t just the plot.
Were just as likely to flock to the bookstores or theaters for a romantic fairy tale as we are for a gripping thriller. The plot is important, but there’s something that matters more: execution.
The same is true in the classroom. Yes, some subjects are inherently more exciting than others, but that does not mean that some subjects cannot be interesting and engaging.
In fact, any subject can capture students’ attention, keep them coming to class regularly, and lead to high-level, long-lasting learning. This kind of success depends less on your subject matter and more on your course design and teaching practices.
Your discipline does not matter. Neither does the level of your course or whether it is in person or online.
This Magna Online Seminar gives you the classroom-tested strategies you need to keep your courses engaging and effective.
Learn how your methods can improve retention at the course and program level, and discover simple adjustments that help students retain course content beyond the end of the term.
After this seminar you will be able to:
- Increase the relevance of your courses and increase engagement levels
- Improve meaningful student participation, from students to drive deeper learning
- Help students master the most important parts of a course for long-term retention and benefit
- Help students find answers to their own questions
- Give students ways to move beyond remembering and understanding so they can apply, analyze, evaluate, and create with the course material you are teaching
This seminar helps attendees find effective ways to engage learners with course content, each other, and the instructor. These techniques are geared to deepen and enrich the long-term learning that takes place in and out of the classroom.
Long-lasting, high-level learning doesn’t just happen. You must cultivate the learning environment where that kind of learning happens.
Below the Surface: Strategies for Deep and Lasting Learning shows you how. It doesn’t skip over the underlying theories and principles, but the bulk of the seminar is dedicated to practical application so you learn how to deeply engage your students in every course you teach.
During this seminar, learn to:
- Identify your must-know ideas, skills, and objectives
- Use recency, frequency, and potency effects to increase likelihood that students will remember your must-know concepts
- Break instruction into bite-sized chunks to keep students engaged in the course content during class time
- Construct relevance for your course content by incorporating their students’ questions, issues, and concerns
- Utilize real-world scenarios, examples, and virtual-student case studies to help students explore new concepts and ideas
- Create a student-centered learning environment with creative discussion, debate, and what would you do? techniques
- Reinforce long-term learning by having students teach a concept of their choice to someone not in the class—reinforcing long-term learning
All instructors want to promote high-level, long-term learning, and it can happen in any discipline at any level in any institution.
The principles presented in this seminar can be adapted to any classroom setting in any college or university.
This seminar would be particularly useful for:
- Adjunct instructors
- Course designers
Order today. You too can learn how to identify and implement instructional strategies that hold students’ attention, bolster retention rates, and lead to deep learning. You can also learn which practices are not as successful so that you focus your time and energy on things that work.
Product Code: PC15BA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- More Information
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart