Ensuring Online Program Quality with the eQuality Model
Continuously improve the quality and integrity of
online and distance ed learning
Can online education really match the quality of the classroom?
Do you flinch every time someone scoffs at the value of an online degree? Do your hackles rise when colleagues dismiss distance learning or distinguish it from “real” higher education? And then when some cheating scandal breaks at another college or university, do you breathe a sigh of relief because it wasn’t your school—this time?
You don’t have to secretly worry that your critics are right. You don’t have to wonder whether your online and distance programs match the quality and integrity of your on-the-ground courses. You can know—and prove with certainty—that any doubters are wrong.
What you need, however, is a data-driven continuous process improvement model that uses performance measures and stakeholder feedback to ensure that student success and academic integrity meet institutional requirements. In other words, you need the eQuality Model.
The eQuality Model is a highly adaptable program designed to continuously improve the quality and integrity of online and distance education learning. You can learn how to adapt this model and develop your own comprehensive quality program in Ensuring Online Program Quality with the eQuality Model:.
The eQuality model is based on a four-pillar approach that uses specific tools and strategies to evaluate and improve quality in courses, instruction, support, and administration. By adopting and adhering to the four-pillar model, colleges and universities can maintain academic integrity and rigor while ensuring the best possible student and faculty experience.
In Ensuring Online Program Quality with the eQuality Model: , the author prepares you to develop and implement a comprehensive quality program at your institution. This report gives you the tools and the insight to gather data, analyze it, and apply it to improve any or all of the four quality components.
You will learn to:
- Identify and involve all stakeholders
- Use end-of-course critiques, student complaints, student success rates, syllabus reviews, course readiness checks, and course design checklists to measure and improve course quality
- Use student feedback, academic appeals, course fill rates, student withdrawal and success rates, and course observations to ensure quality instruction
- Identify and implement student, staff, and faculty support functions
- Design and implement focus groups to generate information about staff, faculty, and student support needs
- Gather, analyze, and apply data to enable administration to improve the online experience for students, faculty, and staff
- Identify overall data-collection needs and resources
To further assist you in developing your own comprehensive quality program, this Magna white paper also provides actual examples of eQuality tools used at Florida State College.
The specific resources you can modify and adapt to your institution include the following:
- Course quality checklist
- Syllabus review checklist
- Course readiness checklist
- Course observation guide
- Sample student end-of-course critique report and analysis
- Instructional quality data collection points matrix
Ensuring Online Program Quality with the eQuality Model is an informative resource for distance learning administrators, course designers, program managers, faculty, and institutional accreditation staff.
For as vast and unwieldy as the Internet is, online integrity and rigor are well within your control. Adapt the eQuality model to your campus and ensure that your distance and online learning programs meet or exceed your institution’s standards and expectations.
Product Code: ND11BA