Student Preconference Workshop
Leadership Master Class
Friday November 22, 2019 | 8:00-11:30 am
Presenter: Jeff Dess
Specifically designed for NCSL students, this program focuses on the relevancy of leadership and disrupting traditional outlooks. All participants receive a certificate of participation upon successfully completing the workshop.
The Leadership Master Class disrupts every concept of leadership youve ever known before. Well investigate the challenges that come with being a leader. Well break down traditional definitions in an effort to reveal alternative outlooks to ideas you have always believed to be true, and then rebuild and restructure our new definition to its most effective point. You will cultivate a sense of self-awareness through identifying a leadership vision, mission, style, and values; examine your own and others intrinsic and extrinsic motivations as leaders; and gain a greater understanding of your own personal identities and how your identities shape your leadership. Well use specific examples from popular culture to help illustrate creative leadership, effective communications, the value of cultural competency and how you can achieve this, the importance of relevant marketing, and the strength of team building and cooperation.
Through this workshop, you will:
- Achieve new understanding of your role as a leader
- Gain clarity on recognizing your relevancy
- Become empowered to achieve excellence in any position
- Learn fresh innovative theories, ideas, and techniques to help you hone in on new skills
- Identify areas within yourself, your campus, and your community that youd like to change or improve upon
- Create specific action steps to take back to your campus and communities
- Have fun while gaining high levels of insight