Magna Publications, Inc. is seeking an event planner to manage its higher-education conferences and workshops. The Event Planner works with the Editorial Director to smoothly execute several 50-person workshops and 500-1,000 person conferences throughout the year. A successful candidate for this position is a self-starter who has experience in an office setting, is comfortable with database and planning software, can accurately proof documents, practices impeccable quality control, and practices discretion in handling confidential material. In addition to working with all aspects of conference and meeting management, the event planner is expected to maintain a high level of professionalism in all communications and be able to work comfortably with contacts in person and via phone, email, and virtual meeting platforms.
- Plans and coordinates details of multiple in-person and virtual events such as conferences, workshops, and webinars.
- Coordinates meeting and event logistics from event registration to execution including audio visual, food & beverage, sleeping accommodations, meeting room sets, attrition, and any contracted details of event.
- Creates, edits, and proofreads various meeting-related documents.
- Organizes rooming lists and hotel reservations lists as needed.
- Communicates with contacts at hotels, A/V provider, site selection partner, and other vendors as appropriate regarding event details.
- Runs inter-department conference team meetings. Proactively sets agenda, assigns action items, records and distributes meeting minutes, follows up on action items at next meeting.
- Assists in maintaining a presenter database.
- Assists with in-office duties such as list management, report updates, and customer service back up.
- Works with technologies as needed to enhance conference planning and improve the attendee experience.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to successfully build positive relationships with coworkers and external stakeholders. A solid and continuing understanding of the target audience (higher education professionals) is imperative. This is a position with responsibility and accountability for continuous improvement of existing offerings and successful implementation of new offerings. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated excellent time management skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Associate degree required; bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Two years of meeting and event planning experience preferred.
- Polished professional with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in project management
- Exceptionally detail-oriented and well organized, with demonstrated follow-through skills
- Excellent teamwork and critical thinking skills
- High-performing, highly self-motivated, curious, and creative
- Experience with Microsoft Office (especially Word and PowerPoint), Microsoft SharePoint and Teams, InDesign, InCopy, QuickBase a plus
- Experience with online meeting platforms such as Teams and Zoom
- Willingness to travel (on-site coordinator for 3–4 conferences/events per year). Overnight travel to conferences includes weekends.
About Magna Publications: Founded in 1972, Magna Publications serves the higher education community by producing professional development products that support faculty and staff development.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume by August 5, 2022. To apply, click here.