This Magna Online Seminar addresses the tension between meaningful assessments and faculty grading time.
Many instructors resort to assigning auto-graded multiple choice or true/false quizzes and exams, simply due to a lack of time to grade more rigorous assessments.
There are problems with these auto-graded tests, too-mainly, it’s easy to cheat, and students with test anxiety are at a disadvantage. Bottom line: these tests leave much to be desired. Cue Specifications Grading-a technique that uses a two-level grading rubric rather than the traditional point system. We will examine how this approach allows faculty to raise the standard for student work, while also promoting academic integrity and allowing diverse learners to succeed.
Grading Strategies to Promote Academic Integrity and Rigor, a Magna Online Seminar led by Flower Darby. Through the grading methods discussed in this hour-long, interactive program, faculty will increase student motivation, produce higher-quality student work, and encourage student responsibility and academic integrity, all while making assessment less stressful for students and simplifying the grading process for themselves.
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Implement Specifications Grading to get students to do the work of learning
- Increase rigor, apply UDL, and promote academic integrity
- Strategically align assessments with the appropriate level of cognition (Blooms Taxonomy)
- Designing assessments, using a specifications grading system, that
- Foster higher order thinking
- Require deeper cognitive processing
- Result in better retention of our content
- Apply Universal Design for Learning principles
- Promote academic integrity
- Preventing grading burnout
- Leveraging technology to facilitate this approach
- Student perceptions of this assessment and grading methodology
This seminar will benefit:
- Instructional designers
- Faculty developers
- Department chairs
- Program coordinators
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- On-demand access after
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC18WA