Many instructors resort to assigning auto-graded multiple choice or true/false quizzes and exams, simply due to a lack of time to grade more rigorous assessments.
There are problems with these auto-graded tests, too-mainly, it’s easy to cheat, and students with test anxiety are at a disadvantage. Bottom line: these tests leave much to be desired. Cue Specifications Grading-a technique that uses a two-level grading rubric rather than the traditional point system. We will examine how this approach allows faculty to raise the standard for student work, while also promoting academic integrity and allowing diverse learners to succeed.
This Magna Online Seminar addresses the tension between meaningful assessments and faculty grading time. Through the grading methods discussed in this hour-long, interactive program, faculty will increase student motivation, produce higher-quality student work, and encourage student responsibility and academic integrity, all while making assessment less stressful for students and simplifying the grading process for themselves.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Implement Specifications Grading to get students to do the work of learning
- Increase rigor, apply UDL, and promote academic integrity
- Strategically align assessments with the appropriate level of cognition (Blooms Taxonomy)
Here’s what we’ll cover!
- Designing assessments, using a specifications grading system, that
- Foster higher order thinking
- Require deeper cognitive processing
- Result in better retention of our content
- Apply Universal Design for Learning principles
- Promote academic integrity
- Preventing grading burnout
- Leveraging technology to facilitate this approach
- Student perceptions of this assessment and grading methodology
Who should attend?
This seminar will benefit:
- Instructional designers
- Faculty developers
- Department chairs
- Program coordinators
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- On-demand access after
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact email@example.com for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC18WA