How Can You Help Online Students Be More Successful in Your Course?
$99.00 – $199.00
One common misperception students have regarding online courses is that these courses are easier, less time consuming, and less rigorous than traditional face-to-face courses. This can lead to a major disconnect between expectations and outcome.
One common misperception students have regarding online courses is that these courses are easier, less time consuming, and less rigorous than traditional face-to-face courses. This can lead to a major disconnect between expectations and outcome. To help prevent this problem, online instructors can engage in a variety of strategies to provide opportunities for students to be successful in their online courses before they are caught by surprise with the course work and time dedication needed. These approaches cover numerous areas such as communication, course design and navigation, instructor presence, and course community. Using these sensible strategies can help instructors lead students into an involved, engaged, and successful online learning experience.
After viewing this Magna 20-Minute Mentor, participants will be able to:
- Explain how their actions (or inactions) can impact student success
- Contemplate the success strategies covered in this program prior to designing and developing an online course and employ these strategies into their course
- Detail a variety of early alert strategies they can use when teaching online
- Realize that there is no one best student success strategy, but that utilizing a variety of the strategies covered in this program can greatly impact student success
- Recognize that student success strategies can and should be used before a course begins to the very end of a course
- Efficient, simplified course navigation and logistics
- Setting expectations for time commitment, participation, and exemplary work
- Anticipating questions and providing answers in advance
- Aiding and encouraging students’ personal organization
- Structuring course activities to build early success
- Importance of instructor availability
This program will benefit:
- Faculty developers
- Instructional designers
Product Code: QM19FA