How Does Consistency Improve Quality in Online Courses and Programs?
There is a growing trend for colleges and universities to make their online courses and programs more consistent and standardized. There are a variety of ways to enhance consistency in online courses and programs including using templates (e.g., syllabus, course shell), using course development standards or guidelines, creating course policies such as standardized response or feedback times, or offering training to faculty teaching online. Benefits to adding more consistency to online programming include ease of course creation for faculty, ease of navigation for students, or enhanced ability for an institution to assess online courses. Learn the benefits of adding consistency to online programming and a variety of strategies of how to make that happen.
Purchase the How Does Consistency Improve Quality in Online Courses and Programs? 20-Minute Mentor program, presented by Brian Udermann, PhD. In this 20-minute session, you’ll gain enhanced awareness of the many benefits to both students and faculty that come from consistent course design. The program provides development staff, faculty, and other administrators many ideas that can be implemented easily at almost any institution.
After this program, participants will be able to:
- Define “consistency” as it relates to course design
- Describe a variety of benefits for both students and faculty to having online courses and programs that are more consistent and standardized
- Identify a variety of strategies that can be implemented in online courses and programs to make them more consistent
- Formulate a process on your campus by which appropriate stakeholders can work together to determine how courses and programs can be more consistent without being “cookie cutter”
- Consistency: How can courses be similar but not canned or cookie cutter? It is possible to encourage faculty to create courses or programs that are more consistent in nature and yet still provide the autonomy they need to ensure their courses are individually and uniquely their own.
- What are the benefits of online courses and programs that are consistent or similar in format? Learn the benefits for both students taking online course and faculty developing/teaching them.
- Learn how instructors or support personnel can create courses and programs that are more consistent (using templates, training, standards and guidelines, policies, etc.).
- Learn strategies for how faculty, staff, and administrators can work together on a college campus to determine how their courses and programs can be more consistent while preserving autonomy and faculty voice.
This program will benefit:
- Teaching Center Staff
- Assessment Coordinators
- Instructional Designers
- Instructional Technologists
- Program Directors
- Department Chairs
- Assistant/Associate Deans, Deans
- Assistant/Associate Provosts
Product Code: OM19CD