Magna On-Demand Seminars
An Integrated Approach to Student Exams
Discover simple strategies you can use every day, whether online or in the classroom, to ensure exams are not simply perceived as grade-generating mechanisms but instead recognized as enriched learning tools that will have a significant impact on student success.
Whats wrong with exams today?
Too often the focus is on attaining grades rather than achieving deeper learning. This online seminar—presented by Maryellen Weimer, PhD, editor of The Teaching Professor newsletter—helps teaching faculty modify their orientation with exams to create a richer learning experience for students.
The foremost goal for any good teacher is to help students succeed. And just as we guide students to recognize areas that need improvement, we can adapt our own approaches to create even better learning outcomes for our classes.
By making exam preparation part of the learning process, students will achieve deep learning and desirable grades.
This online seminar is designed to help teaching faculty see exams from a new perspective. Well look at simple strategies faculty can use every day, whether online or in the classroom, to ensure exams are not simply perceived as grade-generating mechanisms but instead recognized as enriched learning tools that will have a significant impact on student success.
By changing the way teaching faculty approach exams, we can influence student behavior. Instead of asking how they will get the best grade, students need to learn to rephrase their questioning to address these issues:
- What am I going to learn about this content?
- What can I learn from this experience?
The goal of this seminar is to inspire faculty to think about exams in a broader, more learning-centric way. To achieve this, participants will engage in the following activities:
- Explore ways to make exams richer learning experiences
- Design exam experiences so that they encourage the development of good study skills
- Develop strategies that encourage students to take responsibility for exam preparation and performance
Discover a more integrated approach to testing.
Following the ideas and advice provided by esteemed teaching expert Maryellen Weimer, participants will learn concrete strategies they can immediately apply to the classroom setting.
The seminar covers the following:
- Instructional strategies that promote more effective exam study skills
- Creative uses of quizzes that do more than just get students to come to class
- Exam review and debrief sessions where students engage with the content and confront the ways they are learning
This online seminar is designed for teaching faculty who are interested in gaining practical skills to improve student learning.
Participants will learn ways to modify instruction, improve quizzing methods, and engage students to achieve deeper learning.
Order today. As you learn to implement class reviews, study strategies, and exam debriefs, students will be more equipped to learn course content. Through applying a more integrated approach, you will help students put research-based studying tactics into practice and become better at taking tests. This is how we encourage better grades.
Product Code: PC17AA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart