Magna On-Demand Seminars
Understanding Racial Justice Through Food Studies
This Magna Online Seminar explores the relationship between race and food in order to teach key leadership skills for racial justice in institutions of higher education. Examine how food systems create racialized problems for minority communities along the lines of food insecurity, health, and identity.
Food is so intertwined with culture that it makes for a deeply effective method of inquiry into racial identity and racialized disparities. This Magna Online Seminar explores the relationship between culture and food in order to teach key leadership skills for racial justice in institutions of higher education. By drawing upon critical race studies and food studies together, the presenter examines how food systems create racialized problems for minority communities along the lines of food insecurity, health, and identity. Finally, this Magna Online Seminar offers pathways for leveraging knowledge about food in the pursuit of racial justice and cultural inclusivity.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Have an awareness of the relationship between food and culture
- Build intercultural communications
- Analyze racial disparities within food systems
- Demonstrate understanding of how food, race, and culture impact one another
Who should attend?
- Campus leadership
- Higher education staff
Why you don’t want to miss this!
Food is a pathway for understanding some of the significant ways in which structural racism works and how it impacts marginalized groups. Eliminating food inequity can be a step to counteract oppression within communities such as a college campus.
This Magna Online Seminar will help you see how food systems both provide cultural identity but also can drive systemic oppression. You’ll also discover solutions including achieving food justice by examining food sovereignty, improving access to heritage and fresh foods on campus, and providing appropriate food sources and cooking spaces for students.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available on-demand.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC21FA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart