How Can High Quality Faculty Development Improve Online Course Quality?
Not feeling prepared to develop and teach online courses is one of the major reasons faculty report for not teaching online, yet requirements for teaching online are increasing. Professional development for faculty to prepare them to develop and teach online is a growing trend at higher education institutions. For a successful program, there are many factors to consider including what the resource implications might be, if additional personnel (e.g., Instructional Designers) will need to be hired, or if the faculty training will be created in-house or if outside vendors will be used. This program will cover the benefits of providing high quality professional development opportunities for faculty, what some of these opportunities (or programs) might look like, and ultimately how these opportunities can positively impact the overall quality of online programming.
Purchase the How Can High Quality Faculty Development Improve Online Course Quality? 20-Minute Mentor program, presented by Brian Udermann, PhD. In this 20-minute session, you’ll learn how to establish a faculty development program and what content to provide and ultimately see an improvement in program quality leading to growth in program offerings and enrollment.
After this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the many benefits that having strong professional development opportunities for faculty can have on instructors and the quality of online programming
- Identify several types of professional development opportunities that can be created and made available for faculty
- Identify a variety of topics that would be appropriate to include in professional development opportunities for faculty
- Describe the process to identify appropriate stakeholders on campus to discuss this topic and take reasonable steps to implement necessary changes
- Online education continues to grow and many institutions now require (or have as an expectation) that job applicants have online teaching experience. Professional development opportunities for faculty related to online teaching have been and will continue to be in high demand.
- There are many benefits of providing high quality professional development opportunities for faculty, including helping faculty feel more prepared to teach online, growth of online courses and programs, and an overall improvement in the quality of online courses and programs offered.
- Professional development opportunities include one-on-one consultations, workshops, webinars, seminars, conferences, mentoring programs, faculty institutes, online instructor trainings, or online course reviews.
- Topics frequently covered in professional development opportunities include student learning outcomes, learning management system training, effectively facilitating online courses, assessment, building community in online courses, or workload management.
This program will benefit:
- Teaching Center Staff
- Assessment Coordinators
- Instructional Designers
- Instructional Technologists
- Program Directors
- Department Chairs
- Assistant/Associate Deans, Deans
- Assistant/Associate Provosts
Product Code: OM19BD