Magna On-Demand Seminars
Backward Design: Aligning Outcomes to Activities and Assessments
The best courses start with the end in mind. What will students learn or be able to do by the end of this class? This Magna Online Seminar helps you organize your workflow and equips you with the tools to line up your course learning elements with your student learning outcomes.
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Define “backward design” as it relates to your own teaching and learning goals
- Identify practical ways to incorporate backward design principles into your own course design workflow
- Tailor course activities and assessments to meet student learning outcomes
Who should attend?
- Teaching Assistants
- Preservice Teachers
- Instructional Designers
- Academic Support Staff
- Directors of Centers for Academic Instruction or Centers for Teaching and Learning
- Institutional Assessment Directors and Staff
Why you don’t want to miss this!
Our presenter for this online seminar, Tona Hangen PhD, is a highly rated presenter who has previously led programs on this topic. This online seminar will provide a short introduction to backward design concepts and why they matter to student learning as well as detailing practical tools to apply these concepts in course design. By working backwards, instructors can connect activities and outcomes, and clearly decide if those outcomes are the most important for the class. Even if you already have specific outcomes or objectives identified for your course, this online seminar provides a practical process to generate aligned activities and assessments.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Access to the on-demand seminar will be emailed to you within 1 business day.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available on-demand.
Course learning elements need to be tied to specific, measurable, achievable course outcomes. Starting with the outcomes first is key to designing effective assessments. These outcomes need to connect clearly to the actual learning activities and assessments of the course—both in students’ minds and professors’ practice. Well-aligned courses support student learning and facilitate easier course and program assessment.
While the need for this kind of alignment might be intuitively obvious, it is not always clear how to put it into practice while designing a course. This Magna Online Seminar helps you organize your workflow and equips you with tools to line up your course learning elements with your student learning outcomes.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC20LA
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Active and Engaged Students, Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Classroom Climate, Classroom Management, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty, Faculty Support, Legal Concerns, On-Demand Seminars, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Student Engagement, Personal Development, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies, Technology in Online Courses, Technology in the Classroom
- Add to cart