Magna On-Demand Seminars
Creating a Sense of Belonging for BIPoC in a College Course
For faculty who want to create an equitable and inclusive teaching environment for all students, this Magna Online Seminar instills two psychosocial interventions to counteract systemic disadvantage and provide a more equitable opportunity for the academic success of BIPoC students.
A sense of belonging, the experience of being valued and respected, is essential to academic success and well-being. Thus equity-minded pedagogies must intentionally address the lack of a sense of belonging that students of color often experience on a predominantly white campus.
This Magna Online Seminar explores two evidence-based interventions—normalizing struggle and values affirmation—demonstrated to close the education debt for BIPoC students. Participants are provided with the tools for not only making changes to their pedagogical practices but to also to contribute to dismantling barriers at the institutional level.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Define “belonging”
- Identify two or three practices that can be incorporated to enhance a sense of belonging for BIPoC students
- Articulate ways in which the lack of belonging among minoritized students is a consequence of the structure and climate of an institution
Who should attend?
- Educational Developers
- Instructional Designers
- Academic Leaders
Why you don’t want to miss this!
Creating a sense of belonging is an ongoing process for all higher education professionals, especially faculty. It is imperative to provide an ongoing counternarrative to stereotype threat, micro and macro aggressions, imposter syndrome, lack of familiarity with American higher ed, and the many ways in which BIPoC and other minoritized individuals are systematically disadvantaged.
This Magna Online Seminar helps faculty who may not be aware of actions taken or not taken that affect how students from historically disadvantaged backgrounds experience a lack of belonging at college, and ways in which this lack of belonging is a consequence of the structure and climate of an institution. Increasing awareness is the first step in an ongoing process of creating an equitable and inclusive teaching and learning environment.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available on-demand.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact email@example.com for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC21DA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart