Three Secrets to Building Diverse and Inclusive Online Learning Environments
Learn how to apply culturally responsive teaching strategies to the online environment. The strategies presented have been proven effective for diverse populations and also benefit the online learning community and student outcomes in a positive way.
$39.00 – $697.00
As an instructor, you’re probably aware of the importance of teaching in a culturally responsive way which acknowledges your students’ diverse perspectives, experiences, and approaches to learning.
Culture impacts how students learn and perceive faculty and course content. It can affect motivation, retention, and classroom success, so being sensitive to culture and ensuring all students feel valued and respected can mean the difference between a student that successfully graduates and one that never makes it that far.
Ensuring inclusivity and a sense of community is often much more difficult to do in the online setting, as face-to-face interaction is limited and communication is driven by written correspondence.
Fortunately, there are a number of teaching approaches you can leverage to transform a diverse group of individual online learners into an active online learning community.
Register today for the Magna Online Seminar, Three Secrets to Building Diverse and Inclusive Online Learning Environments, presented by Courtney Plotts, PhD. Through the strategies discussed, you’ll come away better prepared to increase student participation and engagement in a diverse online classroom, equipped with strategies that increase student inclusion in the online environment, and ready to create culturally responsive social presence in the online space.
This seminar begins with a general introduction to social presence and an overview of the significance of social presence to the online classroom when viewed through the lens of culture and diversity. Through an interactive discussion, you’ll delve into the application of various dimensions of cultural relevance and explore strategies that increase student engagement in the online classroom. You’ll discover instructional strategies that decrease acculturation and increase cultural responsiveness in the online environment.
How can you create a safe space where students from a variety of backgrounds are open to sharing their experiences and viewpoints?
By applying the culturally responsive teaching practices detailed in this seminar, you’ll be able to build more effective learning experiences and increase student engagement in online environments. This will ultimately help promote social justice and a sense of community at your institution and beyond.
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Increase student participation and completion rates in the online classroom
- Create social presence with a culturally responsive lens
- Encourage students to actively consider differing perspectives
- Create inclusive online spaces for all students
- Cultural attributes of social presence
- Instructional strategies that decrease acculturation in online experiences
- Culturally responsive online learning environments
The seminar will benefit faculty, instructional designers, and faculty advisors.
As today’s student populations grow more and more diverse, its vital that you’re equipped with methods that help create a sense of community and inclusion for ALL students. This seminar considers different pedagogical approaches and details concrete strategies for building a safe space where students from a variety of backgrounds are open to sharing their experiences and viewpoints. Register for this topical seminar today!
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- On-demand access
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: QC18AA
FEATURED MAGNA PRODUCTS
- Active and Engaged Students, Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Classroom Climate, Classroom Management, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty, Faculty Support, Legal Concerns, On-Demand Seminars, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Student Engagement, Personal Development, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies, Technology in Online Courses, Technology in the Classroom
- Magna Seminar Series
- Add to cart
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days.