Magna On-Demand Seminars
Three Secrets to Building Diverse and Inclusive Online Learning Environments
Through the strategies discussed in this Magna Online Seminar, you’ll come away better prepared to increase student participation and engagement in a diverse online classroom, equipped with strategies that increase student inclusion in the online environment, and ready to create culturally responsive social presence in the online space.
As an instructor, you’re probably aware of the importance of teaching in a culturally responsive way which acknowledges your students’ diverse perspectives, experiences, and approaches to learning.
Culture impacts how students learn and perceive faculty and course content. It can affect motivation, retention, and classroom success, so being sensitive to culture and ensuring all students feel valued and respected can mean the difference between a student that successfully graduates and one that never makes it that far. Ensuring inclusivity and a sense of community is often much more difficult to do in the online setting, as face-to-face interaction is limited and communication is driven by written correspondence.
Fortunately, there are a number of teaching approaches you can leverage to transform a diverse group of individual online learners into an active online learning community.
This Magna Online Seminar begins with a general introduction to social presence and an overview of the significance of social presence to the online classroom when viewed through the lens of culture and diversity. Through an interactive discussion, you’ll delve into the application of various dimensions of cultural relevance and explore strategies that increase student engagement in the online classroom. You’ll discover instructional strategies that decrease acculturation and increase cultural responsiveness in the online environment.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Increase student participation and completion rates in the online classroom
- Create social presence with a culturally responsive lens
- Encourage students to actively consider differing perspectives
- Create inclusive online spaces for all students
Here’s what we’ll cover!
- Cultural attributes of social presence
- Instructional strategies that decrease acculturation in online experiences
- Culturally responsive online learning environments
Who should attend?
The seminar will benefit:
- Instructional Designers
- Faculty Advisors
Why you don’t want to miss this!
How can you create a safe space where students from a variety of backgrounds are open to sharing their experiences and viewpoints?
By applying the culturally responsive teaching practices detailed in this seminar, you’ll be able to build more effective learning experiences and increase student engagement in online environments. This will ultimately help promote social justice and a sense of community at your institution and beyond.
As today’s student populations grow more and more diverse, its vital that you’re equipped with methods that help create a sense of community and inclusion for ALL students. This seminar considers different pedagogical approaches and details concrete strategies for building a safe space where students from a variety of backgrounds are open to sharing their experiences and viewpoints. Register for this topical seminar today!
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available on-demand.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Product Code: QC18AA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart