Principles of Effective College Teaching
Most new faculty have an exceptional command of their subject matter—but some uncertainty about how to teach it. They face the challenge of getting up to speed on everything from the basics of course creation to the finer points of inspiring and motivating students.
If you’re one of them, how do you meet that challenge? “Learn as you go” is one way—but it’s an often-painful process that won’t serve you or your students well.
A better approach? Sign yourself up for Principles of Effective College Teaching. This intensive Magna Online Course provides in-depth instruction on the myriad responsibilities of a college teacher. You’ll find it an indispensable resource as you prepare to teach.
Delivered in a modular format, this 10-hour course is presented by James M. Lang, PhD, professor of English and director of the Center for Teaching Excellence at Assumption College. It’s designed for asynchronous learning, so you can complete it at your own pace, at the time and place that works best for you. (It’s accessible from virtually any device.)
Grounded in research-based best practices, Principles of Effective College Teaching will first introduce you to fundamental principles of human learning that will guide you as you create and teach your courses. From there, Lang will explain in detail how you can:
- Craft meaningful learning objectives using Bloom’s Taxonomy
- Manage course content efficiently
- Create assignments that support course objectives
- Develop assessment plans and design exams
- Provide effective feedback and evaluations
- Enhance learning outcomes through the use of technology and new media
- Apply active learning strategies
- Keep your students motivated and engaged
- Facilitate peer-to-peer learning
- Manage difficult issues like academic dishonesty and distracted students
Learning checks at regular intervals help affirm your understanding of the course content. You’ll also appreciate the extensive supplemental materials included with the course: readings, handouts, full transcripts, and links to online resources.
Principles of Effective College Teaching will help you enter the classroom confident in your ability to:
- Articulate the principles of human learning
- Design learning-centered courses
- Develop effective assignments, classroom exercises, assessments, and technology-based activities
- Create strategies to boost student engagement and desire to learn
- Manage classroom challenges skillfully
You’ve mastered the subject matter—now master how you deliver it. Get classroom-ready with Principles of Effective College Teaching!
Who Will Benefit From This Course:
- New faculty
- Graduate assistants
- Teaching assistants
- Professional centers for teaching and learning
- Deans and chairs
Reserve your seat(s) today. Discount pricing is for multiple seats purchased at the same time:
# of people
$269 per person
$189 per person
$149 per person
$129 per person
For 40 or more people, please contact Magna Sales at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-433-0499 ext. 183.
The course enrollment will expire one year from date of purchase.
HOW TO ORDER:
- Order online—Use order button on this page
- Use the PDF order form and return it by mail or email
Mail to: Magna Publications, 2718 Dryden Dr., Madison, WI 53704
E-mail: Send your registration information to: email@example.com
Product Code: PO19DA