Magna On-Demand Seminars
Strategies for Making Lectures More Active, Engaging, and Meaningful
Participants will learn a series of low-risk, very easy to implement strategies, tips, and tools that they can implement to make their lectures more student-centered and engaging in order to promote higher level learning.
Lecture is an efficient way to deliver a large amount of information to a large group of students, but it has long been criticized for failing to engage students and promote higher level thinking skills.
Despite the criticisms, lectures still prevail in many institutions across subject areas. Many faculty rely on lecturing as the default instructional approach.
Are you ready to heighten student engagement as you lecture? By implementing some simple, research-driven solutions, you can do just that!
In this Magna Online Seminar, presented by Meixun Zheng, PhD, you’ll learn low-risk instructional strategies for transforming lectures into student-centered learning experiences.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the common misconceptions about active learning opportunities during lectures
- Leverage non-tech and low-tech active learning strategies and tools during your lectures
- Promote student engagement
Here’s what we’ll cover!
- Styles of active learning
- Student engagement
- Dividing lectures into chunks
- Effective questioning techniques
- Whole group/small group activities
- Writing/reflection activities
- Mobile polling
- Classroom gameplay
Who should attend?
- Instructional Designers
- Faculty Developers
- Center for Teaching and Learning staff
Why you don’t want to miss this!
In this seminar, you’ll learn non-tech and low-tech supported active learning solutions that promote student engagement, learning, and development of higher level cognitive skills during lectures. By implementing these tools and strategies, you’ll better engage large student audiences.
There’s no doubt that lectures are here to stay, so making lectures more active, engaging, and meaningful to students is a must for faculty. The situation is made more complex by restricted classroom instruction time and large class sizes. This presentation provides easy-to-implement solutions to these classroom problems. Register today!
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available on-demand.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC18EA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart