Essential Teaching Principles: A Resource Collection for Adjunct Faculty
- Bulk orders placed MUST be for quantities of 10+
- Only the printed version is available for bulk order
- Bulk orders for quantities less than 10 will not be honored
- To purchase the digital format or less than 10 print copies, visit Amazon.com
- To purchase 50+ copies, contact sales manager Kevin Patrick at 800-433-0499 ext. 3 or email@example.com.
It’s common to find adjuncts whose teaching skills don’t rise to the level of their subject-matter expertise. For them, a solid program of professional development would really pay dividends.
But such programs can be costly to develop; they can take a tremendous amount of time and effort to administer; they can be all but impossible to schedule, given how infrequently many adjuncts are on campus; and, frankly, they can be frustratingly inefficient. (You can find yourself investing in adjuncts’ development only to see them leave the program the next semester.)
This book offers you a convenient, affordable alternative—a practical way to provide all your adjuncts with the knowledge and tools they need for classroom success.
Articles within each chapter offer keen insights into everything from big-picture teaching approaches to day-to-day detail. Here’s just a small sampling of the book’s takeaways:
- How to design a new course or adapt an existing one
- How to write a syllabus
- How to determine optimal course content
- How to establish a “teaching persona” in the classroom
- How to engage students in active learning
- How to create meaningful assignments
- How to establish and maintain a positive learning environment
- How to design quizzes and exams that assess learning outcomes
- How to establish grading criteria and manage the grading process
- How to approach online teaching
Featuring dozens of contributions from experienced, award-winning professors, Essential Teaching Principles: A Resource Collection for Adjunct Faculty is a carefully curated selection of articles adapted from the pages of The Teaching Professor newsletter.
Packing a wealth of information into a compact, reader-friendly format, Essential Teaching Principles: A Resource Collection for Adjunct Faculty is organized around seven broad topics critical to good teaching practice. Those are:
- Instruction Essentials
- Course Design
- Students and Learning
- Creating Climates for Learning
- Teaching Online
- Quizzes, Exams and Finals
- Feedback and Grading
It’s a resource adjuncts can easily consult whenever they encounter new challenges in their teaching careers.
Essential Teaching Principles: A Resource Collection for Adjunct Faculty is a mentoring tool you can distribute to all your adjuncts, to help you ensure a uniform level of comfort and competence when it comes to classroom performance. And this refreshingly affordable resource won’t put a big dent in your budget, either!
Get your adjuncts classroom-ready—order your books today.