Preparing Students for Thoughtful, Ethical Decision Making
Thursday, July 23, 2019 | 1:00 PM Central | 60 Minutes
All too often, we hear news items on sobering events resulting from ethical decisions—or the lack thereof. Incidents occur in every discipline and profession, and can have serious, wide-ranging implications. Are we doing enough in our teaching to prepare students to thoughtfully address the dilemmas they may face? This online seminar addresses ways faculty can provide students with skills to identify and contend with ethical matters in specific disciplines and professions, civic life, and as part of the educational process (including academic integrity and interpersonal interactions). We will also discuss ethical considerations for instructors—particularly those new to the profession—around dilemmas they often encounter, including grading, recommendation letters, and boundaries in interactions with students.
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Identify disciplinary ethical issues students may encounter and should be prepared to address
- Create engaging, relevant lessons and assignments that foster student ethical awareness and thoughtful responses
- Explore options for assessing student learning on dealing with ethical concerns
- Determine ways to consider and address dilemmas that arise in your role as an educator
Here's What We'll Cover
- Definitions: what we mean when we talk about ethical awareness among students and professionals
- The significance of this subject: why teach ethical awareness and personal responsibility
- Skills students can develop as a result of these lessons
- Methods of teaching this subject: formats, content, learning activities, assessment and outcomes of these lessons
- Considerations for faculty regarding their own ethical concerns, particularly those related to their roles as instructors
Who Should Attend
This seminar will benefit:
- Department Chairs
- Faculty Developers
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- A single connection to the live seminar (one connection per purchased registration)
- On-demand access for 1-year after the seminar airs on 07/23/19
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the live seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available. Additional connections for other locations or branch campuses can be purchased for $100 per additional connection. Contact Magna Customer Service at 800-433-0499 to add additional connections for the rebroadcasted seminar.
MAGNA ONLINE SEMINAR PASS
Access 12 Months of Online Seminars
With the purchase of the Magna Online Seminar Pass, you will gain access to all the live seminars within a 12-month period. Covering a variety of relevant topics from academic thought leaders, Magna Online Seminars are incomparable in the way they promote continued staff and faculty development. And now, with a Magna Online Seminar Pass, you can get more of these seminars for less!
The Magna Online Seminar Pass is a sensible and affordable subscription membership that gives you access to every live Magna Online Seminar produced over the course of a 12-month period (minimum of 25 seminars). Purchase a subscription today!
CAMPUS ACCESS LICENSE
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC19PA