Magna On-Demand Seminars
Building a Tougher Student: Applying the Research on Intellectual Development
Explore how the way students think and learn has changed, as well as two research-based models and a set of strategies for using these models to build resilience and enhance critical thinking in your classroom.
As new students enter your institution each year, they bring a new way of thinking and learning with them.
For this reason, you must understand how to mold your teaching to fit the needs of today’s learners. Have you noticed that students are less resilient than they were in the past? Are they less able to think critically? Many instructors would agree.
By applying research on how students learn and intellectually develop, you can foster a growth mindset, improve learning, and ultimately build tougher modern learners.
Are you ready to improve the way students learn in your classroom?
In this Magna Online Seminar, presented by Mike Bridges, PhD and Marie Norman, PhD., you’ll explore how the way students think and learn has changed, as well as two research-based models and a set of strategies for using these models to build resilience and enhance critical thinking in your classroom.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Distinguish the characteristics of a growth vs. fixed mindset
- Identify four key stages of intellectual development
- Identify a set of specific strategies to apply both models in your teaching
Here’s what we’ll cover!
- Carol Dweck’s growth mindset research
- Perry’s model of intellectual development
- Strategies for applying both research models
- Changing student demographics and their implications
- Representations of college students in the media
Who should attend?
- Instructional Designers
- Program Administrators
Why you don’t want to miss this!
This seminar distinguishes the characteristics of growth vs. fixed mindset, identifies four key stages of intellectual development, and provides a set of specific strategies to apply these models in your teaching. By implementing these strategies, you’ll promote resilience, foster a growth mindset, and facilitate stronger critical thinking skills in your students.
Promoting critical thinking and resiliency in students should be a major goal of all faculty and academics. After all, these skills are essential to success both in and out of the classroom. By implementing the research-based strategies detailed in this seminar, you’ll help improve student learning, persistence, and performance. Register today!
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available on-demand.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact email@example.com for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC18GA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart