Engage and Empower Students by Using Wikipedia
Thursday, August 23, 2018 | 1:00 PM Central | 60 Minutes
$247 per connection through 08/09/18, $297 thereafter
Wikipedia is consistently one of the five most-visited websites in the world. However, users of the site typically limit their interaction to uncritical consumption of the information located there.
Letís take a more critical approach!
Wikipedia-based assignments offer a diverse and powerful opportunity for students to go beyond consumption and engage in a novel exploration of critical thinking, research, and writing.
By writing and editing articles for Wikipedia, students can share their knowledge with the world, resulting in robust learning experiences that engage, empower, and excite them.
Register today for the Magna Online Seminar, Engage and Empower Students by Using Wikipedia, presented by Greg Szczyrbak, MS. Youíll take a guided tour through the inner workings of Wikipedia with an experienced Wikipedia Campus Ambassador and evaluate its value as a legitimate learning platform for your own classes.
Upon completion of this seminar, youíll be able to:
- Evaluate Wikipedia as an opportunity for authentic learning
- Uncover the open secrets behind how Wikipedia articles are created
- Compare Wikipedia writing and editing to traditional academic assignments
- Explain Wikipediaís Five Pillars
- Explore Wikipedia features, including Talk pages, the History tab, and Sandbox
- Identify key components of a successful Wikipedia-based assignment
- Understand how to use Wikipedia in the classroom to improve critical thinking, research, and writing skills
This seminar offers a glimpse into how Wikipedia can empower students to share their knowledge with the world around them. Through real-life strategies and helpful background information, this seminar shows you how to use a tool you already understand in a new way to increase student engagement, boost critical thinking, and improve information literacy.
- The Wikipedia community
- The basics of editing Wikipedia
- Wikipedia-based assignments
- Navigating complex and contentious media landscapes
- Critical thinking and media literacy
This seminar will benefit instructors, faculty, instructional technologists, and instructional designers.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- A single connection to the live seminar (one connection per purchased registration)
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- On-demand access for 1-year after the seminar airs on 08/23/18
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the live seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available. Additional connections for other locations or branch campuses can be purchased for $100 per additional connection. Contact Magna Customer Service at 800-433-0499 to add additional connections for the rebroadcasted seminar.
MAGNA ONLINE SEMINAR PASS
Access 12 Months of Online Seminars
With the purchase of the Magna Online Seminar Pass, you will gain access to all the live seminars within a 12-month period. Covering a variety of relevant topics from academic thought leaders, Magna Online Seminars are incomparable in the way they promote continued staff and faculty development. And now, with a Magna Online Seminar Pass, you can get more of these seminars for less!
The Magna Online Seminar Pass is a sensible and affordable subscription membership that gives you access to every live Magna Online Seminar produced over the course of a 12-month period (minimum of 25 seminars). Purchase a subscription today!
CAMPUS ACCESS LICENSE
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC18TA