Facilitate Deep Learning and Student Engagement through Socratic Questioning
Wednesday, November 08, 2017 | 1:00 PM Central | 60 Minutes
Take advantage of the early-bird discount. Enroll by 10/20/17 and pay only $247.
In your classroom, there’s no underestimating the value of a question.
After all, you and your students ask each other questions all the time.
But are you asking the types of questions that keep students engaged and excited about the course material?
A proven and simple way to stimulate the way your students think is through Socratic questioning.
In order to effectively use this technique, you must understand the types of questions you should be asking students, as well as how and when to ask them.
Register today for the Facilitate Deep Learning and Student Engagement through Socratic Questioning online seminar, presented by Julie Schrock, PhD, and Steven Benko, PhD. You’ll view and analyze effective and ineffective examples of Socratic questioning, so you can continue to support student learning through useful questioning techniques and avoid questions that stifle student inquiry and thinking.
There’s no denying that when you ask better questions, you get better answers. And with better answers, comes increased classroom engagement.
This seminar walks you through the Socratic questioning teaching method and provides actionable strategies for implementing the technique into your classes. In this seminar, you’ll learn:
- Proven tactics for applying Socratic questioning to your classes
- The benefits of using Socratic questioning in your classes
- Effective and ineffective examples of Socratic questioning
- How Socratic questioning helps students spot the gaps in their own learning
This seminar will help produce students who are more engaged, better able to reach learning goals, and more curious learners, leading to academic success that reflects well on faculty and institutions.
Maximize the impact of your classroom conversations! Socratic questioning allows you to increase disciplined and thoughtful dialogue, enhance critical thinking, heighten student engagement, and inspire students to become lifelong learners.
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Analyze student comments and questions and identify which elements of thought the student is using in their thinking, then respond with questions that will engage the student in deeper and broader thinking
- Use Socratic questioning to facilitate students’ understanding of the connection between their thinking and their questions and comments
- Ask follow-up questions that extend student participation and encourage other students to join the conversation
- Use questioning as an alternative method of delivering content and assessing student understanding of the material
- Socratic questioning
- Student engagement
- Deep learning
- Encouraging participation
This seminar is intended for faculty who are looking to facilitate deeper learning, increased engagement, and critical thinking in their classroom, leading to learners who are good representatives of their programs of study and institutions.
You’re probably aware of the need for increased engagement and critical thinking in the classroom. There’s an array of techniques out there promising more engaged students, but choosing which method to use and then properly implementing it can be overwhelming.
Register today for this seminar and learn about a time-tested teaching method, presented in a simple way, that meets the needs of faculty and faculty developers.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- On-demand access for 30 days after the seminar airs on 11/08/17
- CD recording of the seminar
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the live seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the live seminar is accessed while available. Additional connections for other locations or branch campuses can be purchased for $100 per additional connection. Contact Magna Customer Service at 800-433-0499 to add additional connections for the rebroadcasted seminar.
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. Without the additional Campus Access License, registrants are limited to viewing the program from the program CD once on-demand access has ended. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC17NA